New Tri-clover arrive scratched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidAtlanticBrew

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been ordering quite a few 1-1/2 inch Tri-clover fittings lately, everything from crosses to tees, ball valves and end caps. I've ordered from all the places you'd expect and 80% of the time, they have scratches and dings on the ends inboard of the semi-circle gasket groove. They often come with a plastic end cap but obviously they are scratched before the cap is put on.

I generally sand and buff these out but it's time consuming.

Are they shipping seconds? They are not sanitary as shipped. Who is the best supplier?

I wouldn't consider it as unsanitary because of a small ding or scratch. Have you ever seen some of the inner welds on Sanke kegs? I think us as home brewers are overly OCD when it comes to this. Just my .02 though!

I think you are right Barleypop, it's probably okay, but they must be seconds right? I can't see how you'd go through the trouble of creating these masterpiece fittings then let the ends get banged up.

I would be curious to see how bad they are. I have tons of tri clover that i bought from Brewershardware and none seem like they might be seconds. They do however seem to have spiderweb like scratches tho, but no dings or dents. Been using them for a few years now with no ill affects.

I've gotten mine from Brewershardware and proflow-dynamics. Haven't had any issues with them.

I think you are right Barleypop, it's probably okay, but they must be seconds right? I can't see how you'd go through the trouble of creating these masterpiece fittings then let the ends get banged up.

Because to most customers in most industry this is a non issue unless it effects function... let's not forget these are More often used in dairy farms and places where cosmetics aren't valued... I have a bunch that came dinged up myself butI have never seen it impact function because there is a silicone seal against that ding or better yet and it's in an area that doesn't seal against anything...
(Then again maybe your are dinged up worse than what I've got and somehow more difficult to clean?) The only reason I think they are polished is they are easier to keep clean... it's not intended to really be a cosmetic work of art.
Homebrew in is a funny thing... it's more about form than function to some (no I'm not saying your in this boat) but when I see people buy or build things like conicals with coils inside for cooling which are less practical to keep clean but look better on the outside than one with a plastic or some other form of jacket wrapped around it I am not surprised that the manufacturers choose to go this way because it's "cooler" and looks cooler.... like that new cornical I think we both agree is impractical but will make Blichmann a lot of money no less...

I also don't see the value myself in spending a great deal of money on an all in one BIAB conical fermenter thingy when it just limits you vs spending the same amount on multiple pieces of versatile equipment and not limiting ones self to one brew at a time but I'd like to believe at least that could be a good fit for someone really tight on space with a scheduled routine.

Do you have pictures of the extent of the damage? These are probably shipping from China and getting rattled against each other on the boat/plane over.

Either way a ding or scratch shouldn't be anything to be concerned about IMO.

Do you have pictures of the extent of the damage? These are probably shipping from China and getting rattled against each other on the boat/plane over.

Either way a ding or scratch shouldn't be anything to be concerned about IMO.

That's exactly what mine look like... they have been in a box or bin with others possibly since they came off the manufacturing line. I have one that's dinged right on the mating surface and I'll admit it concerned me until I tested it and found it still sealed fine. Most of mine came with conicals because I use camlocks for everything else and they are not polished, they are also a bit more heavy duty IMO.

It's typical the ends, often inboard of the seal. I'm probably more anal about scratches and sanitation in general then I need to be. I use camlocks on the hot side. I love em

That's exactly what mine look like... they have been in a box or bin with others possibly since they came off the manufacturing line. I have one that's dinged right on the mating surface and I'll admit it concerned me until I tested it and found it still sealed fine. Most of mine came with conicals because I use camlocks for everything else and they are not polished, they are also a bit more heavy duty IMO.

I just received a butterfly valve I ordered from Aliexpress, and it definitely has more dings than what I've gotten from my usual soures. The flapper also has some rough edges. It's possible they are selling seconds or just using subpar manufacturing. I'm sure retailers do some qc or scrutiny before ordering from a manufacturer that doesn't happen when you order direct.

I just received a butterfly valve I ordered from Aliexpress, and it definitely has more dings than what I've gotten from my usual soures. The flapper also has some rough edges. It's possible they are selling seconds or just using subpar manufacturing. I'm sure retailers do some qc or scrutiny before ordering from a manufacturer that doesn't happen when you order direct.

You get what you pay for. I don't get why people try to save a dew bucks on a part, then wait 3 weeks for it to arrive and hope that it's what you paid for. There are tons of great vendors out there selling high quality parts that you can have on your door step on a few days. I don't get it :confused::confused:

You get what you pay for. I don't get why people try to save a dew bucks on a part, then wait 3 weeks for it to arrive and hope that it's what you paid for. There are tons of great vendors out there selling high quality parts that you can have on your door step on a few days. I don't get it :confused::confused:

This valve was 12$ less than brewershardware, the only other retailer I know that has 1" butterfly valves, and it shipped free. If you need 8 valves or so it's a decent chunk of change. I ordered one to see if the quality was acceptable. I wouldn't have time to use it before it arrived, so shipping time was not an issue.

My scratched ones came from two great vendors. One of the great vendors dumped the unprotected triclovers loose into box hoping news print from the local rag paper would protect them. I'm convinced they shipped scratched however.

They both say just ship them back ..... on my dime and more importantly, on my time. I can barely find to time to brew. I'll pay extra for perfect the first time.

This valve was 12$ less than brewershardware, the only other retailer I know that has 1" butterfly valves, and it shipped free. If you need 8 valves or so it's a decent chunk of change. I ordered one to see if the quality was acceptable. I wouldn't have time to use it before it arrived, so shipping time was not an issue.

And plus usually they are the same valves, fittings anyway just with a middleman in the US (or where you are) which gives you a bit of reassurance that if it is damaged beyond usuability on arrival the return process may be easier... although saying that normally the Ebay/Aliexpress sellers are so scared of negative feedback that the usual remedy is shipping a replacement free of charge or getting your money back :)

And plus usually they are the same valves, fittings anyway just with a middleman in the US (or where you are) which gives you a bit of reassurance that if it is damaged beyond usuability on arrival the return process may be easier... although saying that normally the Ebay/Aliexpress sellers are so scared of negative feedback that the usual remedy is shipping a replacement free of charge or getting your money back :)

Couldnt have said it better myself ... and I will add that the "FEW bucks" mentioned abouve would have made the $2,250 or so I spend on my entire electric brewery with 3 stainless conicals more like 4 grand in the end... it adds up fast.. my $290 control panel alone would have been over $700 when I priced all the cheapest equivalents out at aubrerins...

BTW did any of these scratches have anything to do with impeding functionality or make them any worse for brewing beer? Are you guys brewing with these things or just showing them off:p I dont have time to baby and polish my valves or my kettles... They get scratched up when I toss them in a bucket of starsan together after use.

Here is the valve from AliExpress. Functionally I think it will be fine. My only concern is that the seat doesn't look like it's installed properly. I'm not a valve expert, though.

20161214_144258.jpg

Here is the valve from AliExpress. Functionally I think it will be fine. My only concern is that the seat doesn't look like it's installed properly. I'm not a valve expert, though.

The one that came with my conical looks similar only its a larger diameter hole/seal and its black... has worked without issues for over a year. I do believe thats just how they work.

your ocd is getting the better of you. go do a tour or ten through any commercial brewery and i will guarantee you their seats on their tc fittings are much more beat up than your parts you are buying new.

worry more about sanitizing everything from the HX on correctly, keeping oxygen out of your vessels, and keeping your finished beer below 40 degrees so bacteria growth is minimal, and you will be better off versus worrying about your equipment.

Call me old fashion, But I believe new sh*t, shouldn't look like old sh*t, until it's old sh*t.

So your the kind of guy who would complain because a new shovel your buying has scuffed paint on the bottom end of it?:smack: Yeah in that case you should be paying top dollar for pristine examples to look at... The rest of us would just assume we are not paying extra for hand picked examples and special handling and care so our plumbing valves and fitting reach us in cosmetically perfect form where it makes no difference it how it works for us. have you been to the home depot and seen the bins of plumbing fittings there? same thing. The sanitary aspect is the reason they are polished, not for people to setup as work of art. Its a freaking pipe fitting people!
This is a perfect example of why so many home brewers use clumsy tri clamp fittings on the hot side vs the superior camlocks... its the bling factor.

have you thought about picking some of these to go with it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AO-A-O-...916837?hash=item51eff142a5:g:Tn0AAOSw44BYOyfZ

.(ironically the size and wattage of this element would make it a great fit for a rims application.)

Most people these days are just conditioned to accept mediocre goods, and because most people are okay with it, manufacturers continue to produce mediocre goods! I bought a stainless conical which needed some smoothing and polishing inside to make certain areas look as good as the rest of it and a bunch of tri clover fittings that were dinged and scratched up. The company replaced the tri-clover fittings and gave me a discount on the fermenter to make up for the time I spend grinding and polishing it. See what the vendor can do for you.

Most people these days are just conditioned to accept mediocre goods, and because most people are okay with it, manufacturers continue to produce mediocre goods! I bought a stainless conical which needed some smoothing and polishing inside to make certain areas look as good as the rest of it and a bunch of tri clover fittings that were dinged and scratched up. The company replaced the tri-clover fittings and gave me a discount on the fermenter to make up for the time I spend grinding and polishing it. See what the vendor can do for you.

See I think the opposite.. That some homebrewers are just too picky with what brewing equipment should look like cosmetically...

You cant have it both ways... You either get reasonable priced goods with reasonable time spent on unimportant things like the cosmetic finish or you drive up the prices by demanding over the top showpieces.. Thats going to mean more expensive prepping and shipping practices as well after each pot or conical tank is polishes and checked for perfection and more rejects at the factory which is going to drive up prices even more... All for cosmetically scratch free ballvalves and kettles. Meanwhile the guys actually using the stuff for making beer put normal scuffs and wear on it from the getgo and would also have to pay extra for the OCD folks.

in this case you asking the manufacturers who make these things for dairy and industrial use where this cosmetic nonsense is just that.. to change their manufacturing and distributing processes for the few homebrewers who have gone over the top with their hobby and think thier home brewery and cheap chinese tc valves should look like a hand made and hand finished $4000 espresso machine found in a french cafe....

again just because you pay a distributor or less more doesnt always mean the product will be any different.

I was not referring to cosmetic issues, I was referring to scratches that would make something not sanitary. An NPT fitting that is scratched and dinged up is one thing, but a sanitary fitting that is scratched and dinged? Sanitary in that case is the whole point!

I was not referring to cosmetic issues, I was referring to scratches that would make something not sanitary. An NPT fitting that is scratched and dinged up is one thing, but a sanitary fitting that is scratched and dinged? Sanitary in that case is the whole point!

The thing is it's been asked multiple times here and no one has had any issue with damage causing any problems with the functionality... the complaints have been about little scratches and dings on the outside surface of the fittings. That's the whole point..
As others have said it's highly likely these fittings all come from the same bins in China as the ones sold for other industries but marked upby some people selling them for home brewing just like kettles and the like and if some people are unhappy with the price they paid vs quality they show be complaining to the distributor they bought it from. They can explain what they paid extra for because it's apparently and not surprisingly any better quality when it comes to these generic fittings.

Back