New to winemaking, not to beer brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes909

Reaction score
Hello all,

I sort of have the winemaking bug after some friends got into it recently. I have been homebrewing beer & cider since 1998(6?..can't remember).

I know I got started brewing beer with an extract kit and it was pretty easy, and I recall, turned out pretty good. So I bought a wine kit (this one) with the same idea.

However, I know that in brewing beer, especially with kits, there are many caveats. So I have a list of questions based on brewing beer!

1) A steadfast rule in homebrewing kits is "throw away the yeast that came with the kit!". Does this apply to this winemaking kit as well?

2) Do I need to aerate the mixture before adding yeast? (I think the one supplied is Lalvin 1118 though I don't have it in front of me - I know it is a Lalvin which I thought is a good name)

3) Can I use a plastic bucket for initial ferment, or do I need to go with glass?

4) Spring water, tap water, distilled water - which?

Those are my initial questions...thanks for any help!
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I sort of have the winemaking bug after some friends got into it recently. I have been homebrewing beer & cider since 1998(6?..can't remember).

I know I got started brewing beer with an extract kit and it was pretty easy, and I recall, turned out pretty good. So I bought a wine kit (this one) with the same idea.

However, I know that in brewing beer, especially with kits, there are many caveats. So I have a list of questions based on brewing beer!

1) A steadfast rule in homebrewing kits is "throw away the yeast that came with the kit!". Does this apply to this winemaking kit as well?

2) Do I need to aerate the mixture before adding yeast? (I think the one supplied is Lalvin 1118 though I don't have it in front of me - I know it is a Lalvin which I thought is a good name)

3) Can I use a plastic bucket for initial ferment, or do I need to go with glass?

4) Spring water, tap water, distilled water - which?

Those are my initial questions...thanks for any help!
Cheers

1. No way!

2. You can, but the kit directions tell you to stir well when you add the bentonite, and that will suffice.

3. Yes, the bucket is fine.

4. Doesn't matter.

One of the big differences with beer kits and wine kits is that with wine kits, you really do get what you pay for. A cheap kit will produce a cheap tasting wine. A better kit will produce a much better wine, while an "ultra premium" kit will produce a quality like a $25 bottle of wine.

Following the instructions exactly in the better wine kits will give a great product- unlike beer kit instructions!

A decent kit costs about $120 or so, but there are some less expensive ones in the $85 range that make a pretty drinkable wine that you won't mind sharing with friends.

I bought the same kit you did a while back. It was at our local "Dollar Store", in the "more than a dollar section". I paid $19. It was worth that. But it's not a quality wine. It's not quite as good as a wine like "Two Buck chuck", but it was drinkable. And since it makes 6 gallons (30 bottles), at 63 cents a bottle it was ok. If you want something better, Winexpert makes kits in the $55-60 range and those are pretty drinkable and most people who aren't wine snobs would enjoy those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back