new to using whole hops in BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
Want to try using whole hops in boiler (could it be 'cause I'm growing my own? :). I know how pellets react in the kettle with the green foam and then the hot break. What goes on with whole ones? Also I hear about using a paint strainer bag for whole hops, but it seems to me this would impede the circulation in the boil that does all those good things? I don't think SWMBO would go along with me getting a pellet-making machine for the 2 or 3 lbs I hope to harvest. I'm already stretching it with the hop pole in the middle of the yard...

I would use a bag and just increase the hop amount some. Whole hops can be a PITA when it comes time to rack over to the fermenter. Are you using a valve or siphon? A siphon with a bag over the tip can work at times, but again, whole hops can really clog things up.

A valve. The bag sounds good other than the perception (probably bogus) that the constriction of the bag won't let the hops fully do their thing in the boil. With whole hops do you still get the foam on the top at first?

Want to try using whole hops in boiler (could it be 'cause I'm growing my own? :). I know how pellets react in the kettle with the green foam and then the hot break. What goes on with whole ones? Also I hear about using a paint strainer bag for whole hops, but it seems to me this would impede the circulation in the boil that does all those good things? I don't think SWMBO would go along with me getting a pellet-making machine for the 2 or 3 lbs I hope to harvest. I'm already stretching it with the hop pole in the middle of the yard...

I actually prefer brewing with whole hops, i put large tea/herb ball at the end of pickup tube and it filters beautifuly (no filter when using pellet) but pellet is easier to divide and store so i actually have more pellet in my freezer

Leaf hops are easier to strain..but for my money I like using pellet hops better. I always read that pellet hops lead to better flavor and aroma, but who knows if that is true. Where I do like pellet hops is when it comes to bottling/kegging. Leaf hops absorb a whole lot of beer. I can easily cold crash in my chest freezer and not lose nearly as much beer. Either way, the flavors should be better, and, like I said, easier to strain. Just a matter of preference.

Back