New to Mead, but I have blueberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this summer we went to a grower and bought 20lbs of organic blueberries.
I got froggy today and decided to make something out of them. So here is what I did:

1. Thawed berries, and boiled them with 6 cups of water, blended it all in a blender.
2. Boiled 6 more cups of water and added 4 cups dark brown sugar and half a jar (2 cups) of orange blossom honey
3. After sanitizing my equipment, I mixed the sugar water and blueberry puree, and then strained it out to remove any solids.
4. Poured my mix between 2 1gallon jars and moved to the garage to cool.

Then I came upon a problem. All the yeast I have is US05, and I don't want to make this into a cider. I was thinking wine or mead. So, now with my mixes made, I ordered all the ingredients, tools and bottles to get me started with wine and mead. Supposing it takes until Friday (5 days) to get here, should I refrigerate my blueberry mix or just leave it in the garage at 50 or so degrees til my stuff gets here?

Lastly, when my stuff does get here, what would be your recommendations on what I have done so far, wine or mead with it?

What's the gravity on that must (your blueberry sugar honey mix). This might be closer to a wine with that low amount of honey (1 cup per gal)

5 days is a long time to let bad things in. If you have a homebrew store near you, you may want to go get some D47 or other wine yeast.

Also make sure to use nutrients!

Latest posts

Back