New to Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbrown911

Reaction score
Hello all I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to how I can hook up my new kegerator to a cornelius 5 gallon keg. I have only so far used it for the standard 1/2 barrel kegs. I kegged my first homebrew (way easier and faster than bottling I must say I'm glad I finally took the plunge after 7 years of bottling) last night (pumpkin ale for thanksgiving) and realized that all the connections are ball lock instead of the threaded connnections like on the 1/2 barrels. Normally I would just screw on the wing nut at the end of the tubing from the tower right onto the threaded connection on the keg coupler. The kit I bought with the cornelius keg came with the gas lines and liquid lines with ball locks and I have the keg being pressurized right now but all I have is the picnic tap which is what came with the kit. In the future I would like to run the beer out of the tower and faucet. Is there some sort of ball lock fitting that I need that I can screw the wing nut at the end of the tubing from the tower? Thanks so much.

Pretty much every online brew store sells "conversion kits". They are basically just screw on pieces that transition from one to the other.

Sounds like you need an MFL disconnect. Since you already have a picnic tap you must have the liquid ball lock disconnect. Sounds like your picnic tap is just connected by a barb with a worm drive to the disconnect.

You can buy a new liquid disconnect with MFL and an MFL barb for around 7 bucks. If the fitting at the end of your tower is the same size it might screw in, if not cut the tubing and fit the barb on the end.

Even without buying anything couldn't you just take the wingnut off the end of the liquid tubing line connected to the tower and just put it on the barb on the corny keg?

This should lead you in the right direction http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegerator-Homebrew-Conversion-Kit_p_720.html

kblankenship11 said:
Sounds like you need an MFL disconnect. Since you already have a picnic tap you must have the liquid ball lock disconnect. Sounds like your picnic tap is just connected by a barb with a worm drive to the disconnect.

You can buy a new liquid disconnect with MFL and an MFL barb for around 7 bucks. If the fitting at the end of your tower is the same size it might screw in, if not cut the tubing and fit the barb on the end.

Even without buying anything couldn't you just take the wingnut off the end of the liquid tubing line connected to the tower and just put it on the barb on the corny keg?

This should lead you in the right direction http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegerator-Homebrew-Conversion-Kit_p_720.html

Thanks for the help, the conversion kit will work perfectly.

Back