New to kegging, general questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamcisman

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I just force carb'd my red IPA. 30 psi at 33°F for 24 hrs. Came out lovely! Anyway, I have a few questions:

So since I carb'd it at 33 degrees, if I were to serve it at say 42 degrees would it be foamy? Or do I need to always serve at 33 degrees? If I want to ultimately serve at ~43 degrees should I carb it at that temp?

The serving psi that worked nice was 5 psi. Should I store it in the fridge at that psi? Do I leave the main line from the CO2 tank open? Closed? Will keeping it at 5 psi in the fridge carb it even more over a couple weeks?(the time it will take me to drink it)

Also, while I was carbing it, sometimes when I'd go check on the regulator it would be dropped to 20 psi, so I'd just turn the regulator to bump it back to 30. Does that mean there's a leak somewhere? I checked very carefully with starsan water and didn't see any leaks.

Thanks for your time!!!

if you warm the beer up to 42, it's not going to pour the same as it did at 33.

Moving forward, you should attempt to stabilize the pressure at whatever your serving temp is and your carbonation level (...and thats definitely not going to be 5 psi)

Find that carbonating chart that's published out on the net and make a copy for the side of your kegerator. ;)

if you warm the beer up to 42, it's not going to pour the same as it did at 33.

Moving forward, you should attempt to stabilize the pressure at whatever your serving temp is and your carbonation level (...and thats definitely not going to be 5 psi)

Find that carbonating chart that's published out on the net and make a copy for the side of your kegerator. ;)

Cool, thanks for the info! Yea I'd like to serve around 43 degrees, so I'll carb it at that temp next time.

If you keep it at 5 psi, it will start to loose carbonation over time. There is no issue moving it to 42 now. It might just take a few beers to get it to pour the way you like. Call it research!

Back