New to HB and have question about my NEIPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe.ron86

Reaction score
Long time reader and 1st time poster. So a buddy and I made a NEIPA, used to live in Michigan (Macomb Co. above Detroit) so for all you guys up there it's a M-43 Clone but tweaked a little.

On 11/9/19;
Mashed at 150*/60min but it dropped to about 146, brought it back up to 150 with about 20 minutes left.
Tried to sparge at 170 but the mash got clogged and had to mix the water around to unclog the strainer.
No hops during boil.
Dropped water temp to 140 (buddies fault as he wasn't watching) and raised back up to about 175 and threw in 2oz. of each, Calypso, amarillo and citra.
Dropped back down to 70 to pitch. (Juicy - Imperial Yeast).
OG - 1.072
FG - Unknown yet.

On 11/12/19;
2.5 days later I dry hoped .5 oz of Amarillo and Citra and 1.5 oz of Galaxy.

On 11/16 I'm going to transfer it off the sludge and hops to 2ndary.

I have a few questions:
1. I'm dry hopping 2 times. 11/12 - 11/16 (4 days) and I'd like to do 3 days for the 2nd time but IDK how long the 2ndary should be, any advice?
2. The hops that are open for the next week or so (sanitized the outside and the scissors and taped them up with duct tape and threw into the freezer) they should be fine correct?
3. The hops that were opened, from what I read, they should be good to throw into the 2ndary correct W/O contaminating it?

fwiw, I would not use a secondary on an neipa. And I never do.
The oxygen exposure risk isn't worth the questionable benefit.
As for the hops in the freezer, they should be fine as your second DH addition...

Cheers!

Yeah no secondary. I also wouldn’t personally fermentation dryhop, since I’ve stop I rarely ever get hopburn

Well, on Sunday (Day 5 of 1st DH) I'm going from VA to SC to help a buddy move for 3 days, so the hops would sit in the primary for 8 days, heard that's bad? Also, I don't know if I'll be able to keg when I need to, might have to bottle as my paintball co2 tanks expired had having trouble finding someone to fill them.

Long time reader and 1st time poster. So a buddy and I made a NEIPA, used to live in Michigan (Macomb Co. above Detroit) so for all you guys up there it's a M-43 Clone but tweaked a little.

On 11/9/19;
Mashed at 150*/60min but it dropped to about 146, brought it back up to 150 with about 20 minutes left.
Tried to sparge at 170 but the mash got clogged and had to mix the water around to unclog the strainer.
No hops during boil.
Dropped water temp to 140 (buddies fault as he wasn't watching) and raised back up to about 175 and threw in 2oz. of each, Calypso, amarillo and citra.
Dropped back down to 70 to pitch. (Juicy - Imperial Yeast).
OG - 1.072
FG - Unknown yet.

On 11/12/19;
2.5 days later I dry hoped .5 oz of Amarillo and Citra and 1.5 oz of Galaxy.

On 11/16 I'm going to transfer it off the sludge and hops to 2ndary.

I have a few questions:
1. I'm dry hopping 2 times. 11/12 - 11/16 (4 days) and I'd like to do 3 days for the 2nd time but IDK how long the 2ndary should be, any advice?
2. The hops that are open for the next week or so (sanitized the outside and the scissors and taped them up with duct tape and threw into the freezer) they should be fine correct?
3. The hops that were opened, from what I read, they should be good to throw into the 2ndary correct W/O contaminating it?

The hops and 8 days should be no problem in the grand scheme of things.

Do not transfer to secondary. And if you have gas, be sure to purge the carboy if you dry hop after fermentation.

If you have to bottle, skip the bottling bucket and fill your bottles directly from the primary fermenter. Divide your sugar and put in the bottles, then fill them and cap on foam.

Oxygen exposure after fermentation will kill this style of beer, so eliminate however you can.

Good luck and happy brewing!

P.S. Join us over on the NEIPA thread! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-256

Last edited:
I concur with all of the responses: no secondary, eight days is okay, (I'm thinking of a Beatles song here) and purge the fermenter if you dry hop after fermentation is complete.

Also, the slight temperature fluctuations during brewing all sound like they're within normal range of homebrewing temps.

The hops and 8 days should be no problem in the grand scheme of things.

Do not transfer to secondary. And if you have gas, be sure to purge the carboy if you dry hop after fermentation.

If you have to bottle, skip the bottling bucket and fill your bottles directly from the primary fermenter. Divide your sugar and put in the bottles, then fill them and cap on foam.

Oxygen exposure after fermentation will kill this style of beer, so eliminate however you can.

Good luck and happy brewing!

P.S. Join us over on the NEIPA thread! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-256
Truly a great wealth of knowledge. I would probably say it’s the most comprehensive guide to brewing NEIPAS out there through not only scientific data but also an amazing account of anecdotal evidence from guys who continue to try to improve the style

No secondary... and if you have the ability to drop the yeast (cold crash, etc.) before the last round of dry hops that would really help. Otherwise like Dgallo said... don't dry hop during active fermentation. I have no good advice on bottling... I hate bottling...if kegging is an option do a closed transfer... super easy and cheap to do.

Latest posts

Back