New to Cider... Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for a few years now and have fallen in love with the hobby. In an attempt to increase my variety, I want to give a sparkling cider a shot.

For my first try, I'm thinking of making a cider with store bought juice and either blackberries or raspberries. More specifically, I'm thinking of making something similar to this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ninemilbills-easy-blackberry-cider.321190/

Can I use a puree for the berry flavor? I already have some Vinter's Harvest Raspberry puree. Can I use that? Also how much would you add? I'm planning on making enough to fill a 2.5 or a 5 gallon keg but haven't decided yet.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

I made a Raspberry Jalapeno cider last year and used an entire can of raspberry puree for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary. It could have used a little more time on the puree before I added the peppers, but it was still quite good.

It did stay cloudy for a very long time, though. The puree doesn't like to come out of suspension.

I made a Raspberry Jalapeno cider last year and used an entire can of raspberry puree for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary. It could have used a little more time on the puree before I added the peppers, but it was still quite good.

It did stay cloudy for a very long time, though. The puree doesn't like to come out of suspension.

How big was the can? Mine is 3 lbs 1 oz. Also, how long would you leave it on the berries to get enough flavor? Thanks for the help!

I used the same size can. I added the raspberries and peppers at the same time and let it sit for 3 days, if I remember correctly. I didn't want it to get too peppery.

I'd say a week on the fruit would probably do nicely. As long as you sanitize everything properly, you could take samples from 3 days on until you get what you're looking for.

I find fruit in the primary or fruit concentrate in the secondary works best. Purée would make a mess.

I’m currently doing a pineapple cider ala Two Towns.
For a 5 gallon batch I have 6 lbs frozen pineapples, I’ll probably put 4 lbs in the primary after the aj ferments a bit. Then cold steep the other 2lbs in the keg before carbonating. My local grocery store sells frozen pineapple concentrate so I can use a bit to adjust the sweetness if I desire.
I’ve used vintners apricot, raspberry and blackberry in the past with good results. In fact I have a 3lb can of blackberry purée designated for a coffee berry mead.
If you are using the purée in primary, I’d use pectic enzyme. It doesn’t work miracle but does help a bit. If you have the ability to cold crash- that’ll also help.

I find fruit in the primary or fruit concentrate in the secondary works best. Purée would make a mess.
Thanks! Can you point me to a specific concentrate that you have had success with? Please forgive me if this is stupid question. I'm well versed when it comes to beer but I'm not very knowledgeable about cider.

Back