New to cider have a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwallage9

Reaction score
So this is my first batch of cider. My starting gravity was 1.07. I did 5 gallons of cider, 7 cups brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon. Let it sit for a week switched it over to a carboy to get some sediment out so I have roughly 4 to 4.5 gallons as I didn't transfer stuff near the bottom. It fermented for a week, and has been sitting in a carboy for for a couple of days. My questions are:

My final gravity is 0.996, I assuming I can bottle now right?

I want to back sweeten, and I've heard some different things. I'm leaning towards using frozen apple juice concentrate. I read you can add as much as you like for sweetness, as long as you pasteurizer it by day 4. When it comes to pasteurizing I want 170 degrees F for about ten mins. I want a sweetened and carbonated final product. Is this correct? I don't want bottles blowing up.

It kinda has a weird smell to it, I'm assuming from cinnamon or yeast? Is that ok? I don't see any mold and I drank a glass I didn't get sick and went down fine.

Thanks for reading any answers are appreciated.

Your terminal gravity sounds right but I'd let it sit for a couple more weeks. I let mine sit in primary 4-6 weeks before bottling or adding fruit, etc.

As for the pasteurization, I have no experience, sorry.

Out of curiousity what temp did you ferment at and what yeast did you use?

I make sweet carbonated cider often. You sound fine to bottle. For 5.25 gallons of cider, I use 3 cans of apple juice concentrate. Don't pasteurize at a certain date. I usually wait about three days then pop one in the fridge. Try it later that night. If it is carbonated to your liking, then pasteurize. If not, repeat the next day and so on. I have had batches take three days and others take 7-8. I use 180F water to pasteurize and let the bottles sit in the water for ten min. Be sure to wear a coat and safety glasses. I've never needed them, but it's better than losing an eye. Let them cool and enjoy any time after that. Any other questions? I have some. What yeast? What kind of apple juice/cider?

Thanks for the advise.

I don't remember the exact kind of yeast I used, but I believe it was vintner's harvest yeast, a wine making kind I was told.

I used a stored brand cider that was 100% juice with no preservatives added.

Thanks for the advise.

I don't remember the exact kind of yeast I used, but I believe it was vintner's harvest yeast, a wine making kind I was told.

I used a stored brand cider that was 100% juice with no preservatives added.

i split a batch of cider last year between s04 and a wine yeast. the s04 came out more pub tasting. the wine yeast fermented dry and more like a wine-duh.:D

I believe bulk aging cider is a good idea, so a month or two after fermentation ends is no problem. To make sweet fizzy cider I recommend having at least three plastic soda bottles to use as testers. When the soda bottles get hard to squeeze, that is when I start checking for carbonation level; put a bottle in an ice bath to chill before opening. The carbonation level won't be exactly the same in the rest of the bottles, as the heat added before pasteurization is complete will give the yeast one last push. Yes 180* F for 10 minutes sounds like a good method. I have only had one bottle blow during the heat treatment, so I chalk it up to a weak bottle. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back