New to brewing- Qs' re: initial fermentation; 5 gal to 1 gal conversion of recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to brewing, my wife got me a kit 1 year ago. Made a nice pale ale. Had the gear so I tried my luck at making my favorite- red amber beer.
I figured- what the h__l; found a recipe online.
However- it was for a 5 gallon recipe and I only have a 1 gallon fermenter. So I divided the quantity by 5; but it looked to little, so I doubled the amount. Basically I have 40% of the quantity of grains etc for 20% of the fluid volume.
Is this legit? The wort tasted pretty good...colour is not so red though more like a ka ka brown.

Also- After putting it in my primary fermenter; bubbles were notable after ~12 hours or so; but not a ton like when I made the home brew kit. When I made the kit foam was busting through my blow tube, now there is some foam with a small (but decent amount of bubbles) coming through. Is this expected?

One last question: how important is it to do a secondary fermentation?

Thanks for reading through all this, much appreciated.

40% of the grains for 20% of the volume should simply double your OG and probably your ABV as well. Sounds like you'll get an imperial version of the intended brew. Personally I don't see a need for a secondary unless you are racking off fruit or something along those lines and plan to age in the fermenter for many months. Once the FG is stable for a few days I would cold crash for 3 days and rack from above all the sediment to bottle or keg. Cheers!

Back