New to brewing in Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian57

Reaction score
In my distant past in the U.K. I brewed beer and wine, my main problem was keeping things warm while fermentation took place. However now living in Florida I can see the opposite being true. So a couple of questions. Whilst brewing beer or lager is it possible to use a small fridge with a temp controller to ferment beer and wine and keep the temperature controlled during the height of the Florida summer? Can someone one point me in the direction of the desired controls that I need.
Thank you
Ian

In my distant past in the U.K. I brewed beer and wine, my main problem was keeping things warm while fermentation took place. However now living in Florida I can see the opposite being true. So a couple of questions. Whilst brewing beer or lager is it possible to use a small fridge with a temp controller to ferment beer and wine and keep the temperature controlled during the height of the Florida summer? Can someone one point me in the direction of the desired controls that I need.
Thank you
Ian

You need a Johnson A19 (analog), a Johnson A419 (digital), a Ranco something or other, or you can build one yourself and save about 3 dollars with a STC-1000.

I don't have links, but if you go to Northern Brewer or any other online brew place you'll find most of this.

[edit] Here's someone selling the Johnson A419, which is about the best choice here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/20-gallon-conical-johnson-a419-462403/

Ahhhh southern brewing.

Enjoy your 80 degree tap water.

Invest in temp controllers and chest freezers. It won't hurt to use a pre-chiller for your wort chiller to get really cold water flowing.

Ahhhh southern brewing.

Enjoy your 80 degree tap water.

Invest in temp controllers and chest freezers. It won't hurt to use a pre-chiller for your wort chiller to get really cold water flowing.

No prechiller for me. I chill down to the pool temps (I use pool water for chilling) then let the chest freezer get the wort to pitching temps. Only takes 2 or 3 more hours in there.

Back