New to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lineman5009

Reaction score
Hello all
Just started brewing a few months ago and finally kegged my first IPA today. This seems like a good sight had a ton of info for me especially when the pressure dropped in the co2 tank. thought for a bit Id been shorted. Trying my hand at force carbinating. Set keg at 25 then layed on side rolled for a bit. Place in fridge and let it rest
then ran co2 to 12. was told it be ready in 24hrs does that sound right?

Set keg at 25 then layed on side rolled for a bit. Place in fridge and let it rest
then ran co2 to 12. was told it be ready in 24hrs does that sound right?

If you're going to "fast force" carbonate by high pressure bursting and rolling the keg on the floor until reaching your desired CO2 level, you shouldn't have to wait for 24 hours at 12 PSI (or any amount of time), unless you didn't burst/roll it enough in the first place.

But IMO the problem with this method is that it's easy to inadvertently over carbonate or under carbonate. e.g. how many times did you burst at 25 PSI? How long is "a bit" of rolling? What temperature was the beer at when you did this? These are all variables that will affect the carbonation level you got initially. And if you didn't reach your target carbonation level initially, the time needed to get the rest of the way there will depend on how far below your target you were initially, and on the temperature (going forward) of the beer.

TLDR: It's impossible to say if 24 hours will do it.

ETA: The foolproof method of force carbonating is known as "set and forget."

If you're going to "fast force" carbonate by high pressure bursting and rolling the keg on the floor until reaching your desired CO2 level, you shouldn't have to wait for 24 hours at 12 PSI (or any amount of time), unless you didn't burst/roll it enough in the first place.

But IMO the problem with this method is that it's easy to inadvertently over carbonate or under carbonate. e.g. how many times did you burst at 25 PSI? How long is "a bit" of rolling? What temperature was the beer at when you did this? These are all variables that will affect the carbonation level you got initially. And if you didn't reach your target carbonation level initially, the time needed to get the rest of the way there will depend on how far below your target you were initially, and on the temperature (going forward) of the beer.

TLDR: It's impossible to say if 24 hours will do it.

ETA: The foolproof method of force carbonating is known as "set and forget."
Thanks for the reply
About 10 min of rolling then stood up and placed in fridge
Beer was at 40 deg had cooled it prior to kegging. was using a carb chart i found on line 2.34 is what it says but to be honest with you im not sure how to measure that amount.

weight baby!

i find 1.3oz's of co2 gives me a good carb at 8psi serving pressure...

And Welcome! i hope a couple clowns in the forum like me don't ruin it for you! (but i am actually burst carbing by weight now thanks to the forum)

edit: and if your high pressure gauge went down, after one keg, you got a leak! if it drops time to swap!

About 10 min of rolling then stood up and placed in fridge
Beer was at 40 deg had cooled it prior to kegging. was using a carb chart i found on line 2.34 is what it says but to be honest with you im not sure how to measure that amount.

Okay, it sounds like you hit it once with 25 PSI, disconnected, then rolled. If that's the case, that wouldn't do much at all. Now that the beer is at 12 PSI at 40F, expect it to take a couple weeks to fully carbonate. You'll reach just shy of 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is a pretty good default for many styles.

ok thanks ill research the weight thing
appreciate your time

as someone told me, ask and you shall recieve!

keep your co2 tank on one of these, yes it stays on 24/7 when plugged into the wall...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA0RC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

shake your keg till the weight goes down to desired carb level acording to these...

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight
and

https://beerandwinejournal.com/residual-co2/

and burst carbing at 50psi, isn't as much of a work out as 25! still take time to absorb and get cold though....

edit: and researching won't help, you'll just find a couple posts from my drunk ass! :mug:

Last edited:
Back