New to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoshy

Reaction score
I have done a few extract kits but I’m going to do my own recipe for the first time. My hop choices are 4g of Amarillo, 5g of Apollo and 9g of Simcoe for a one gallon batch. Is this a bad combo, enough or too much hops? Just looking for some input. Thanks

Welcome to HBT!
That works out to about 4 to 5 grams per litre of hops, which is in the American Pale Ale region (when used in the right way) - not enough for a modern IPA but more than, for example, blonde ale. With a suitable grain bill, they should work well.

Welcome to HBT!
That works out to about 4 to 5 grams per litre of hops, which is in the American Pale Ale region (when used in the right way) - not enough for a modern IPA but more than, for example, blonde ale. With a suitable grain bill, they should work well.

How many grams per liter would qualify as an IPA?

How many grams per liter would qualify as an IPA?

It's about the hops being dominant, more than a specific grams per litre amount. And without any real upper boundary.
The most brewed IPA in the recipe database is Braufessors Northeast style IPA - it uses 12.75oz for a 6.5 gallon batch, which is over 14g/litre. The next most brewed IPA is Yoopers Dogfish Head 60 minute clone - it uses 3.25oz for a 5 gallon batch, which is just under 5g/litre. They are probably two extremes (Yooper's recipe is much older - from 2007 - and more representative of IPA's at that time - it seems the more time goes by, the more hops brewers want to use!).

Edit: I should say 'IPA recipe with most replies' rather than 'most brewed'.

There's more to developing a recipe than just grams of hops. One needs to know the amount and type of extract as well as the alpha acid percentage of the hops so one can balance the sweetness of the beer with the bitterness of the hops. A brewing calculator can help you with this. I use BrewTarget and like what it does for me, your needs may vary.

I've drunk an unbalanced beer that was advertised as very malty. I didn't care for it. I also don't care much for the other end of the spectrum of beers where the bitterness assaults your tongue. Your tastes may be different from mine.

Check out a homebrew calculator. They're great for making your own recipe. You basically pick a style you want to brew and enter the fermentables, hops, and yeast, and the calculator will tell you how close you are to the style you're aiming for and you can tweak it from there.
You can start with this one but there's several out there... https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

Welcome to HomebrewTalk and welcome to this awesome hobby!

Latest posts

Back