New Thermostat hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robby6pack

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions if anyone has the time. I just bought a GE 7.0 CF freezer on craigslist for $50. Threw out the old controller and replaced it with an ink bird controller. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0152LYY0I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Everything works fine. I have the temp set at 38 and temperature swing of 3 degrees (41). That works great. When the compressor shuts off, 38 degrees, the temps swings about 3 degrees lower. Is this the normal temp swing?

2. Pulled the old temperature sensor out as it wasn't gonna work with the new controller. I tried to push the supplied controller back in the tube, but its too big. Can I drill through the "hump" wall and install a small piece of PVC pipe, that would protrude into the compressor compartment, and put my new sensor in that? PVC would be open to the inside and closed with silicone in the compressor compartment. I don't believe that there are any coolant lines that run through the hump wall. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20171201_155350.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Undershooting the temperature like that is normal if you don't have anything in the freezer. You'll get much more stable temperatures if you have 5-10 gallons of liquid in there, and better still if you have your temperature probe in contact with or submerged in some liquid.

Can't answer on drilling the compressor hump other than saying that it doesn't look like my freezer has coolant lines there.

Back