New thermometer/sight glass heat shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daves69

All Grain No Brain!
Reaction score
So i have been wanting a sight glass/thermo combo for a while now but was never thrilled about it boiling etc. in the tube. Last night I drilled some holes, installed the sight glass and thermo as well as made a shield out of aluminum stock. Turned out pretty good, going to give it a test run tonight!

thermo1b.jpg

thermo2b.jpg

ampsman said:
How high is that thermo from the bottom of your kettle?
Looks a little low.

Might just be the angle, it's almost 3/4" above the skirt weld. I believe 5/8" is where most put it?

Daves69 said:
Might just be the angle, it's almost 3/4" above the skirt weld. I believe 5/8" is where most put it?

Let me correct that, the center of the fitting is at 3/4" above not the bottom of the thermometer.

That's a great idea. Where did you get the stock?... I used flimsy roof flashing... it works, but not well.

Bobby_M said:
Nice simple solution. Have you seen this? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/heat-shield-prototypes-283260/

Here's some bling:

No, that's the first I have seen that! Also this one is my HLT. I have not installed the one on my BK yet. You guys think the temp of the flame will cause it to read to high? I mean I watched Bobby's bid on installing then like 3 times and that's where he put his.

Your location is fine. I think people intuitively think that putting the thermometer port somewhere in the middle of an average vessel fill is going to give you a more accurate reading but you're going to have temperature stratification no matter where you put it. When installing a combo kit, you can't really expect to put it up 4" higher or you lose liquid level range. Of course, down low requires a little more attention to exterior heat protection, but now you have that covered.

That stock looks really thick. I mean, I know you had it and obviously free is the best kind. I'm just saying something in case someone thought they had to use something that thick to make it work. After playing around with different stock, 18g aluminum or 26g stainless would work for your type of DIY.

Your location is fine. I think people intuitively think that putting the thermometer port somewhere in the middle of an average vessel fill is going to give you a more accurate reading but you're going to have temperature stratification no matter where you put it. When installing a combo kit, you can't really expect to put it up 4" higher or you lose liquid level range. Of course, down low requires a little more attention to exterior heat protection, but now you have that covered.

That stock looks really thick. I mean, I know you had it and obviously free is the best kind. I'm just saying something in case someone thought they had to use something that thick to make it work. After playing around with different stock, 18g aluminum or 26g stainless would work for your type of DIY.

Sounds good, I am not sure what gauge the stock is but I know its 1/8" what ever that converts too... I had some thinner material but it was raw steel and I honestly did not want to deal with rust etc.. Anyhow good info and like others have said your product is top notch! Thanks!

Where on earth can I find those clips? I am going to go and solder couplings in my kettle, and those snap on shields would be awesome!

Back