New System on $2k budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecheeze

Reaction score
So I am moving back to the USA to finally settle down after living as an expat for some time. Brewing is big here and it is something I have really gotten into and want to continue. We have VERY rudimentary equipment where I am so I am excited about coming home and getting quality tools.

I put together my list of what I think I would need (assuming I have nothing) to start brewing. I would like to eventually have a 3 tap keezer system with 3 fermentations going most of the time.

Looking for some advice and improvements on my list of equipment (as well as if I missed any items that would be useful). Basically uses the SS Brewteck fermenter and kettle and a basic 2 keg system.

Some specific questions-
10lb CO2 is a good size (not overkill not too small)?
Will I regret not going with the dual pressure regulator system?
Brewteck system seems pretty nice and I haven't found any glaring negative reviews- is it worth the money to go SS on fermenter?
Any place to cut some costs down- ie basic carboy vs SS option?

Trying to stay close to $2k. Thanks in advance.

Beer List.PNG

How do you plan on controlling the fermentation temperatures.

Item 1 on my list would be a chest freezer and SRT1000 ~$200

Edit: I see you have one on your list. My bad.

Your prices are alot higher than I've paid for things. All my kegs are used. They all perform flawlessly.

I have a dual tap regulator in my two tap kegerator. I'm a fan. Both my regs are Taprite.

51L9pzz5GEL._SY300_.jpg

10lb CO2 tank is good. I've got a 10 and a 5

You've listed 2 taps on the list, say you want a 3-tap keezer, and will eventually want at least 4. Adding kegs is easy; adding taps to your keezer, not so much. Check out the awesome chest freezer guide.

Your prices are alot higher than I've paid for things. All my kegs are used. They all perform flawlessly.

I'll keep checking for better deals- this will most likely be a Christmas gift from me to me so I have some time :). I am sure I can find used kegs on craigs list when I get back.

Might it be better to go for 2 5lb tanks over 1 10lb so I have a spare tank on reserve (and have some more space in the freezer)?

SRT1000?

That guide is amazing- thanks for that. I will probably get the third keg/fermenter/tap in a year or so. It shouldn't be too difficult to drill a third hole into the collar and run some new tubing when I'm ready. I don't think I could go through 4 kegs in time....

Where are you moving too? Some places it is easier to find used equipment, which can make for many options.

I wish I just went with a 20lb tank from the get go. my 5lb is $20 to refill and my 20lb is $30. You can't beat Ezrider's prices either. Right brew has good prices on keezer components. I went with stainless shanks and chrome plated perlicks. I wish I would of went for the stainless perlicks, my chrome is gone on the inside and it hasn't been a year yet.

$225 for 1 15 gallon stainless kettle? I paid $78 shipped for my 15 gallon stainless kettle and $129 a piece for my 2 16 gallon kettles with drain spigots how are you heating it ? gas , propane or electric?

I have two 5lb tanks and I'm amazed how long they last. I like having the extra just in case of runs out during a party.

2 fermenters, 1 kettle with false bottom, and no burner? Do you have a burner or did miss it on the list? Do you already have other kettles? If not then with just 1 kettle you must be looking at biab but then you don't need the false bottom.

One thing I've learned do a large upgrade like this, plan everything, get your price estimate, then double it. Especially since you clearly want a quality system. It's easy to keep adding this and that.

I wish I just went with a 20lb tank from the get go. my 5lb is $20 to refill and my 20lb is $30. You can't beat Ezrider's prices either.

I swapped my 20lb tank for a 10lb+5lb; the former is hooked up to the keezer and the latter is useful for purging kegs, taking a keg to a party, back-up etc.

How do you plan on controlling the fermentation temperatures.

Edit: I see you have one on your list. My bad.

I have a dual tap regulator in my two tap kegerator. I'm a fan. Both my regs are Taprite.

51L9pzz5GEL._SY300_.jpg

I only see (1) chest freezer that is going to be a keezer. I agree that fermentation temp should be one of the critical things you need to plan with the system.

My suggestion would be to focus funds on controlling fermentation and your kegging setup. Get a decent 15 gallon kettle with dump valve only, a mesh bag ($3-$20) and you're good to go.

I also vote for a primary 20lb CO2 tank (fill mine maybe once/year?) and secondary 5 lb tank for backup/mobile setups.

Regarding multiple regulators - what distinct styles are you going to want on tap simultaneously? A lot of us get by with a single regulator, and 4-way splitter. I prefer to have a backup regulator for my 5lb/mobile setup, or for purging kegs before racking, etc.

I recommend a quality Thermopen - very accurate and fast. If you do go BIAB, the kettle temp probes can catch on the bag, maybe aren't so accurate, etc. You'll find that you have to stir the mash up quite a bit before the temps stabilize.

Latest posts

Back