New strains and safety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With some new strains popping up are they safe? Is there a potential of contamination? They are not marked on the package. How do you know. If so is the dead giveaway can be used at high temps and have no airlock action. Don't get me wrong they are a dream from what I have used so far. It would suck to contaminate equipment and more.

Are you asking about kveik strains in particular? Or something else?
Regardless, if ethanol is produced via fermentation there will be the requisite mass of CO2 emitted. There are no magical yeast strains that can beat that chemistry...

Cheers!

Nope talking about ACT-1 yeast. I know when I use Lacto and it hits below 4.0 pH no co2 happens.
I would be talking about kveik and any yeast that fits this profile, There will be more to come. Just want to be safe.

What safety are you talking about? The safety concern with STA1+ yeast is over attenuation post-packaging and generating dangerous pressure in the package. And then cross contamination from there on out.

Giving it time to fully attenuate (accepting that it might take a while to do so) and being meticulous with cleaning and sanitation afterwards is all you need to do.

It's fundamentally no different from dealing with Brett. If still a concern for you, follow the common Brett/wild plan and use separate equipment for STA1 yeasts.

If you're talking about overattenuating yeasts then the dead giveaway would be that they overattenuate. Keep in mind that STA-1 gene expression is not fully understood yet and many STA-1 positive strains do not exhibit overattenuation.

AFAIK there is no relationship between the STA-1 gene and fermentation temperature and lack of airlock activity means either no fermentation or a leaky fermenter.

The research I've seen most recently indicates that oxygen access is a driver of STA1 gene expression, dependent upon another gene, but it's been a while since I looked. My hypothesis is that this is why open fermentation with the Dupont strain anecdotally helps avoid the "stall" (as opposed to the invalid but oft cited "pressure sensitivity" theory). That said higher temps seem to push it along faster (which has been my experience with Dupont- insanely high temp, no stall).

I intend, at some point, to experiment with a secondary blast of oxygen with the Dupont yeast to see how it behaves with or without insanely high temps, though I haven't done a pure culture fermentation with it in years (blended strains containing it are easier to work with).

I've only used one STA1+ yeast that didn't attenuate well into the 90% realm. Every other one has very highly attenuated, though not at the same rate. I accept that "many" don't as that seems a pretty consistent consensus (even apart from yeast companies with a financial stake), but I haven't come close to using every option out there and never will. Given my experience, with any STA1+ yeast I do not take for granted that a couple days stable gravity means it's done unless coupled with very high attenuation as well (the French strain for example will do it's work very quickly).

You're concerned about kveik strains contaminating your equipment? Do tell...

I will say, yeast labs seem to be pretty good these days about announcing a given strain has the STA1 gene (can't speak to every company though), though you'd have to check documentation or their website since I wouldn't expect it to be listed on the package. I do this whenever I use a new yeast regardless of diastaticus. Not sure why you'd want to use a strain blind unless perhaps a last minute swap or a mixup (I've certainly done that before, grab the wrong yeast). But can check after the fact.

Thanks for the replies.
I did not find anything on the site about it having STA1. It did the job. I was concerned and wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

Back