New setup? How long to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeBeer78

Reaction score
Long time lurker, First time poster! I need some advice?

After 6 batches of PM we decided to go all out and move to AG. We just built a new Single Tier 3 Keggle Brew Rig. We purchased 3 High Pressure BG-10 burners (I believe they are the same burners in the SP-10) and they are hooked up to a 20psi Regulator controlling each burner with a needle valve. Did our first test boil of 10 Gallons, and from 60* F to Boil it took about an 1 hour 15 minutes at 65*F outdoors. Our burners are set 3 1/2" below the Keggle. Do these numbers look good? Should the burners be closer to the keggle? I'll be posting pictures soon!

Thanks in advance!

That's not horrible. It takes me about 40 mins to bring 7 gallons of 120f water to a boil. If you haven't already, I'd look into putting some wind deflectors around the burner. This will greatly help avoid heat loss.

That is a long time to come to boil, I am at boiling temp in 10 minutes, granted my wort is app. 150f, and thats 19 gallons. I think you could do better than 1 hour and 15 min. I am not familiar with that burner, I use a King Kooker jet burner, maybe someone else familiar with that type burner will chime in and give some tips, good luck,:mug:

Can you cover the pot while the temp is climbing and then remove the cover when you start to boil?

I'm gonna take the advice about installing wind blockers around the burners. I think that will help alot. It was windy the day we did the test. It was blowing the flame around like crazy. This test was with a lid on the boil kettle.

Back