New regulator might be busted, cranking it up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingInVT

Reaction score
Hi. I have a new separate pressure tap rite regulator. One beer has been at 12 psi for three weeks, a second for one week. The first shows some signs of carbonation, the second very little. I think the gauges may be off.

I just cranked them to 35. I'm not going to shake/roll...just let them go. What would be a decent amount of time? 24 hours too long, as they have both been at 12 for 1 and 3 weeks? should i purge all the co2 when its time to test?

Here is the regulator:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QAP6JC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
3 weeks to carb a beer at serving pressure is a bit long but not completely unheard of. But if the beer has been chilled to serving temp for that 3 weeks and it's still not fully carb'ed by then, there may be something that's not quite right. You do have all the right outlet valves (regulator & manifold) in the full open position right?? ;)
When you turn the pressure up, can you here the CO2 entering the keg? You can go to HD and buy a $5 pressure gauge, connect it to the output of your regulator or manifold to test the pressure the regulator is putting out.
Are the kegs new or recently refurbished kegs? The reason I ask, there could be another cause for such slow carbonation. If the poppet valve springs in your gas post are too stiff, it may not be fully compressing to allow the CO2 to flow in at the full regulated pressure.
Or the spring in your gas disconnect may be too weak to depress the poppet valve spring in your gas post. Just to throw out a few alternate things to check...

Thanks...I think i'll get the gauge...it claims to be fine.

The kegs are refurbished and have served well the last time, though 6 months ago. I think the poppets are probably on their third or 4th use. Perhaps i'll get all new parts.

We'll see tonight..i'll see if perhaps they have come along at the higher pressure. The one on for three weeks def has bubbles, but they dissipate quickly. The one week one is doing about nothing, though i do hear co2 going into solution when i rock them and see no evidence of leaks.

Latest posts

Back