New Recipe Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
I've been out of the scene for what seems like forever. I started a new batch of cider today. I was driving around the Newark, DE/Elkton, MD area today and decided to stop by Milburn Orchards. I picked up 10 gallons of pasteurized cider and 5 lbs of blueberry honey. So, my recipe goes a little something like this:

In each carboy:

5 gal Milburn Orchards Pasteurized Apple Cider
2.5 lbs Blueberry honey
1 pack of Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast
Hopes and Dreams

I'm gonna let these ferment out and then rack them to kegs to age for a year before I dig into them. I hate waiting.

Thanks for looking and happy brewing :mug:

I've been out of the scene for what seems like forever. I started a new batch of cider today. I was driving around the Newark, DE/Elkton, MD area today and decided to stop by Milburn Orchards. I picked up 10 gallons of pasteurized cider and 5 lbs of blueberry honey. So, my recipe goes a little something like this:

In each carboy:

5 gal Milburn Orchards Unpasteurized Apple Cider
2.5 lbs Blueberry honey
1 pack of Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast
Hopes and Dreams

I'm gonna let these ferment out and then rack them to kegs to age for a year before I dig into them. I hate waiting.

Thanks for looking and happy brewing :mug:

That looks so good! I am looking forward to you tasting it and getting back to us!

It's been so long since I last brewed/fermented. I forgot that each 5 gal carboy only holds 4 gallons. I made a mess all over the floor. Hopefully I'll never do that again. Applejuice is a ***** to get out of the carpet.

1 5 gallon carboy will hold 5 gallons with no air space. i.e. 5 gallons to the brim. You usually need a little airgap to give room for the krausen. So I usually put 4 gallons in a 5 gal carboy or 5 gallons in a 6.5 gal carboy. And yes, the honey caused the spillover

1 5 gallon carboy will hold 5 gallons with no air space. i.e. 5 gallons to the brim. You usually need a little airgap to give room for the krausen. So I usually put 4 gallons in a 5 gal carboy or 5 gallons in a 6.5 gal carboy. And yes, the honey caused the spillover

Ok that makes sense. I have BB's and they are 5 gallons to the shoulder not the top of the neck. Thanks.

Back