New recipe from a big time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayi

Reaction score
Met with a guy from one of the bigger breweries and he sort of gave me his own personal recipe from his summer beer. I kind of want to run it by every one first. I am a real new BIAB and new to the forum. Start with 7.5 gallons water boil for 60 minutes to get close to 5 gallons. Mash 60 minutes at 154 degrees
5 # 2 row
4# Carapils
.5 # Crystal 40
1 oz citra with 10 minutes left
.5 oz Simcoe with 5 minutes left
.5 oz Moasic at flame out

It's possible you could get around 20-22 IBU from those late additions, so it might be what he intended. That carapils has to be a mistake though, maybe you mean pilsner malt?

The late additions of strong American (proprietary hops) is starting to become a popular idea for low IBU beers. I actually want to try it some day. The 4 lbs of carapils seems like way too much -- but the description of carapils is that is doesn't add flavor, so it you were going for a low IBU beer with a lot of "mouthfeel" I think that could do it. Still I normally wouldn't go more than 1# of carapils in anything.

So if it were me... 9# of 2-row or a combo of 2 row (including Maris Otter and Golden Promise as options) and pilsner... and 1# of Carapils. I'd also add a small 60 to 45 minute addition of a high alpha hop... maybe 0.5 oz if you want to keep the IBU's down.

Regardless put this into a BeerSmith or Wort for Android or something that will calculate out style before you go off and use 4# of carapils.

Met with a guy from one of the bigger breweries and he sort of gave me his own personal recipe from his summer beer. I kind of want to run it by every one first. I am a real new BIAB and new to the forum. Start with 7.5 gallons water boil for 60 minutes to get close to 5 gallons. Mash 60 minutes at 154 degrees
5 # 2 row
4# Carapils
.5 # Crystal 40
1 oz citra with 10 minutes left
.5 oz Simcoe with 5 minutes left
.5 oz Moasic at flame out

As was mentioned, the 4# of carapils is an obvious mistake. Either it should be 4 oz of carapils, or 4 pounds of pilsner malt. Is this supposed to be a low alcohol light summer beer? If so, it'd be 4 ounces of carapils, for an OG of about 1.035, or a 3-3.5% ABV beer.

If it's not supposed to be so low, I imagine that the carapils should be "pilsner malt". That should give you an OG of about 1.052, or 6% ABV.

I am having computer trouble but when I put it in with3 pounds Pilsner and 1/2 pound Carapils the ABV is 4.6 and IBU 31. I think this is much better. Thanks to every one but I'll still take suggestions. This is a rainy day (Thursday or Friday)project

Latest posts

Back