New recipe (Blackberry Basil Wheat) - looking for opinions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nudarkshadowl

Reaction score
Afternoon guys/gals,

About a week ago I brewed a 5 gallon batch of the below recipe. A really really simple fruit wheat that I am hoping is nice and crisp for these upcoming hot AZ days.

The recipe is as follows:

0.5 Lb Light crystal
3.3 Lb Briess Wheat DME
3 Lb Muttons Light DME
1.5 Oz Nelson Sauvin (60 Min.)
0.5 Oz Nelson Sauvin (last 5 Min.)
4 Lb frozen organic Blackberries
1 Teaspoon Irish Moss (15 Min.)

Yeast:
WPL 60 American Ale (I wanted a nice clean finish)

Here's where it gets weird
2 Oz Fresh chiffonaded Sweet Basil (Last 5 Min.) :drunk:

Brewing process:

Put grains in muslin bag/ bag in kettle and heat 2 gallons of water to 155 degrees. Kill the heat, add DME, reapply heat, at boil add the 1.5 oz of Nelsons, let boil for 45 min.

While wort boils away, bring a gallon of water to a boil in another pot, kill the heat, add your 4 lbs frozen blackberries to the pot. Let cool till around 160 degrees, cover pot and steep fruit till finished with cooling the wort.

At 15 min. add Irish Moss, Last 5 min. add remaining 0.5 Oz of Nelsons, and a the 2 Oz of Fresh basil to a muslin bag. After 5 min. kill the heat, cover and let steep for 5 min.

While the wort is steeping, add the fruit and liquid from your other pot to the fermentor. Cool your wort (duh), and add it to your fermentor. Once wort has hit 70 degrees, pitch your yeast.

I made a yeast starter 24 hours prior to brewing and let it run in a Fernbach flask on my Orbital shaker over night.

Was going for a nice crisp beer with a strong Blackberry backbone, a crisp finish, and a nice fruity bouquet with just a hint of basil aromatics.

Well, what are some fellow brewers opinions on my recipe? Any suggestions or recommendations for a future batch? Any comments or concerns? Looking forward to hearing what other think.

Thanks,
Nick :mug:

My thoughts:

Blackberries steeped at too high temp - will result in a permanent haze. This beer will not be clear.

Most blackberry flavor will be gone. Blackberries should be added after main fermentation is done. You are going to have lots of Basil, with little blackberry.

Add some NS dry hops.

Latest posts

Back