New public varieties.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can't get rhizomes yet. I'm Does anyone know where I could score some Cashmere rhizomes? Really I would like to grow any of the four that were in Zymurgy magazine recently.
Thanks for your time.

What B-Hoppy said. We are planting 240 of their Cashmere plants this fall but we are a commercial farm. I'm not sure they sell these to homebrewers yet but ask them anyway!! Good luck!!

I placed an order with greenfield gardens about a month ago. They said the plants won't be ready to ship until june, but at least I got one :)

I placed an order with greenfield gardens about a month ago. They said the plants won't be ready to ship until june, but at least I got one :)

I hate to say that... I am the one who "advertise" for them on this thread, but last year, when I ordered with them, this is when I realize how much they don't care about the small customers. I place my order in late January, and they change the delivery date 3 times... May, June, July. I end up with no plants at all. And the person I was dealing with visibly don't care at all about me. Good luck, I hope that your experience with them will be better than mine.

I hate to say that... I am the one who "advertise" for them on this thread, but last year, when I ordered with them, this is when I realize how much they don't care about the small customers. I place my order in late January, and they change the delivery date 3 times... May, June, July. I end up with no plants at all. And the person I was dealing with visibly don't care at all about me. Good luck, I hope that your experience with them will be better than mine.

Hmmm..thanks for the info..maybe I'll try and also order from the same place as the user above as well and hope that at least one of them comes through.

Just got an email from capncork homebrew today...apparently their supplier is having problems propigating the Casmere hop plants. So my order was cancelled. damn. Heres to hoping that greenfield gardens comes through.

Received the same email from capncork as well. After a lot of scrabbling on my end, it does not look good on finding Cashmere. Great Lake Hops does have Sorachi Ace, Tahoma and most of the Neomexicana varieties if people are looking for any of those.

I contacted Green Flora with the same answer of no US shipping. http://www.greenflora.ca/hop-plants/ If you look at their location, they are just across the border of Washington State. If you know someone that live nearby, they might be able to buy some and ship them out.

I also found this site.
http://www.ontariohopgrowersassociation.ca/hop-farm-directory/

Shows what hops they grow and their location in Ontario. I have not contacted any of them, but someone might want to try one of them to see if they will ship to the US.

The US resident importing the plants needs a permit from the USDA, and depending of how / where the plant was grown, there might be a need for a phytosanitary certificate.

The certificate needs to be done by the canadian company, they need to fill a form to ask for a CFIA inspector to come and inspect the plants. They will have to pay fees for that.

Lot of paperwork, propably the reason why no canadian company is interested.

The US resident importing the plants needs a permit from the USDA, and depending of how / where the plant was grown, there might be a need for a phytosanitary certificate.

The certificate needs to be done by the canadian company, they need to fill a form to ask for a CFIA inspector to come and inspect the plants. They will have to pay fees for that.

Lot of paperwork, probably the reason why no canadian company is interested.

I was 99% sure that was the case and you have confirmed it for me. Looks like I will try again to find a cashmere hop plant next year.

What's the big deal about these Chasmere hops?

Cashmere (From Draft Magazine)
What it is: a cross between Cascade and Northern Brewer
What it’s like: This was the most unusual hop, and definitely the crowd favorite. Tropical coconut, peach and tangerine filled out the aroma, while a similar flavor profile paired coconut, melon, tangerine and lemongrass.
Another description: strong melon, fruity (lemon, lime peel, pineapple), coconut, and spicy note

Basically, its a daughter of Cascade (good parentage) and Northern Brewer (Good grower) with exciting new flavors and higher alpha than Cascade. On the downside, its prone to downy mildew and possibly other problems. A lot of the commercial growers are complaining its too hard to grow.

Thanks for the info GVH Dan.

Has it been made available in the states yet to buy? Sounds like a fun challenge to grow.

I know its available to commercial growers but I don't know anyone selling small numbers of plants. Of course, that doesn't mean someone isn't. I believe Great Lake Hops has them. We have them but only sell in bulk.

Great Lakes hops has them but they are only selling commercially right now so home brewers are out of luck. Cap n cork homebrewt was selling them to home brewers this year but their growers had troubles propagating the hops so nobody got any this year. Canada is growing and selling the cashmere but nobody will ship to the states.

I actually contacted Great Lake Hops and told them my situation (order canceled on me from cap n cork) and they did let me buy me one cashmere hop plant in mid/ late april. They were very adamant they just happen to have an extra one. It started really slow (multiple hail storms didn't help either especially on my other 3 hop plants), but the plant is about 12 feet tall so far and still growing strong. Once I started getting steady temps in the upper 80's and higher, it really shot up like a weed.

Dam....I tried that last year and they said they didn't have any. Maybe I'll try and email them again...or I'll just have to wait for next year I guess :/

I actually contacted Great Lake Hops and told them my situation (order canceled on me from cap n cork) and they did let me buy me one cashmere hop plant in mid/ late april. They were very adamant they just happen to have an extra one. It started really slow (multiple hail storms didn't help either especially on my other 3 hop plants), but the plant is about 12 feet tall so far and still growing strong. Once I started getting steady temps in the upper 80's and higher, it really shot up like a weed.

Will you be willing to harvest rhizomes from it?

It may be with a look for some rhizomes in the spring. Definitely the following year. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in a hard to find variety! I know I am.

I have a year 2 sorachi ace that I have had to trim back a lot. I was able to give a couple rhizomes to a buddy in town (actually have a plants worth I could chop off now). Shipping them out is not something I want to deal with. If you are in the St. Louis area I am sure we can work out a rhizome exchange or something. Still early in the growing season and still a winter to go.

I have a year 2 sorachi ace that I have had to trim back a lot. I was able to give a couple rhizomes to a buddy in town (actually have a plants worth I could chop off now). Shipping them out is not something I want to deal with. If you are in the St. Louis area I am sure we can work out a rhizome exchange or something. Still early in the growing season and still a winter to go.

I'm in Affton and would be interested in a rhizome or two. As for swapping I'm not sure if I'll have anything to swap as my plants are first year plantings. I have cascade and centennial.
PM me if interested in working something out. I'm sure there's something else brewing related I could swap or even $. [emoji482]

Back