New Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheProfessor2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a new propane burner, but I have some questions about the device. The burner has this "opening" where gas flows into (from the valve), and passes through the tube of the burner to the flame end. This metal clamp-thingy has a screw (see picture). Is this a chamber where air is mixed with the propane? Should this be open (like in the picture), or closed? It came open.

Also when igniting the burner, I saw a "backfire": a flame travelling the burner back to this "chamber" (under very low gas flow rates). Is this expected and correct behavior?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-08-27 at 10.54.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-27 at 10.54.27.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 28
I would assume this is an air mix valve. When the burner is running adjusting the knob should change the color and quality of the flame. If it does, then it is the air mix valve.

On my Bayou Banjo Burners, I have had flame blow back in the air mix section once in a while. Generally happens when I am "late" ignition of the burner.

What brand is the burner?

The burner is from P.A.C., an Italian company.

Seems indeed to be an air mix control. I didn't know that such a hole was a typical thing in propane burners. The older one I have (a paella burner) has the same kind of hole.

Back