New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmathews

Reaction score
I will be heading to New Orleans in a few week and was hoping to get some input on what local breweries to hit. I did a little poking around but i trust this community's opinion more than yelp haha. Thanks

Louisiana and Mississippi are like deserts when it comes to craft brew when I lived there.
Abita is all that comes to mind near NOLA, and it is across the lake on the north shore in Covington.
A few small breweries have opened in the Acadiana area since I have been gone like Teche and Parish that you may be able to sample in NOLA.
Bayou Rum facility recently opened in Lacassine has excellent rum; worth a stop if you are driving to NOLA from Texas.

I second Avenue Pub and also suggest Cooter Brown's and both Bulldog locations. The back bar at Cooters (called Snooty Cooters) has great beers on tap.
A few good but small tap rooms such as Courtyard Brewing and Second Line Brewing are out of the way but worth it. Also new is Urban South. They've got some good beers and getting better all the time.

NOLA Brewery has a semi new tap room but I'm just not crazy about their beers but that's just me.
Outside of town is 40 Aprent and in Hammond there's Gnarley Barley (1 hour drive though).

More info on pubs is here: https://www.craftbeer.com/beer-and-food/10-new-orleans-beer-bars
Finally, check this out: http://nola.eater.com/maps/new-orleans-craft-beer-destinations

I used to live a few blocks from Avenue Pub. I really like it other than the kinda *****ey crowd that sometimes fills the place on weekend nights.

World of Beer, a bar on Julia St., has a big selection with some beers I haven't seen elsewhere in the city.

I'm a fan of NOLA's tap room. They always have some interesting stuff on tap, plus they added a BBQ joint to it that has some really good food.

Urban South is right down the street from NOLA (both are on Tchoupitoulas), so you could probably hit them both in one day.

40 Arpent is close to my house in Arabi, which is just outside the city on the other side of the 9th ward. I hear they opened a tap room recently but I haven't been there yet.

There is the Crescent City Brewhouse on Decatur. Decent food and beer. Kind of a neat place to go.

The Nola Tap House on Tchoupitoulas St. I've never been there, but their Blonde is oustanding

And there is a Gordon Biersch on Poydras. Decent German style beer and pub food.

I will be heading to New Orleans in a few week and was hoping to get some input on what local breweries to hit. I did a little poking around but i trust this community's opinion more than yelp haha. Thanks
If you do go across the causeway to Covington, in addition to Abita, there's a nice restaurant call the The Chimes which has a huge taplist, and there's also the Covington Brewhouse. Ed
:mug:

There is the Crescent City Brewhouse on Decatur. Decent food and beer. Kind of a neat place to go.

The Nola Tap House on Tchoupitoulas St. I've never been there, but their Blonde is oustanding

And there is a Gordon Biersch on Poydras. Decent German style beer and pub food.

Totally forgot about Gordon Biersch, good call

Just seeing this, but depending on where you are in the city, these are my recommendations...

Avenue Pub. Period. Not a brewery, but the best beer and whisky bar in the Gulf South, IMO.
Courtyard Brewery. Great spot for hoppy beers. Scott (the owner) is from San Diego originally, so brews beers with that leaning. He also has a lot of guest taps for stuff that is different from his.
Wayward Owl. Just opening up, but open from Tuesdays through either Saturday or Sunday from 4-8 until their grand opening in a couple weeks.
Gordon Biersch. Even though it's a chain, they give the head brewer, Sonny, a LOT of leeway on one offs and rotating stuff. He has even improved the quality of the year round stuff compared to the last guy.
NOLA Brewing. Great space along the river. They also have a lot of experimental stuff in the tap room that you can't get anywhere else.
Second Line. Kind of hit and miss in my experience, but when they hit, they're good.

If you get a chance to drive across the Causeway to Mandeville, stop at Old Rail Brewing. It's a brewpub, so only on-premise and growlers, but Matt makes the best beer across the state, IMO.

Also beers to look for packaged (definitely hit up Stein's Deli for food and their packaged beer which is out the back door to the right) are Gnarly Barley and Parish.

Back