New o2 regulator - oxygen isn't flowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarblyTremolo

Reaction score
I recently bought an oxygenation system from northern brewer - tubing, diffusion stone and regulator. I picked up a disposable bernzomatic o2 tank and it all fits together quite nicely. However, when I turn the regulator on, no oxygen flows into my wort. When I unhook the regulator I do get a puff of gas. Any thoughts?

I'd really like to get this double decoction mashed pilsner oxygenated tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like the tank is full since you can hear the puff. Have you turned the regulator dial the whole way to on? I know on mine that you need to turn it quite far to get a good flow. You may also have a faulty regulator and if that is the case, I would try contacting Northern Brewer in regards to a refund/return.

I did open the valve all the way and didn't get any flow. It's definitely a bad regulator. So hopefully the good people at Northern Brewery will help replace it. Kind of bummed I had to aerate my pilsner with the old shake and pray method!

Also try to boil the O2 stone for a few minutes to clean it.
Any oil from MFG, your hands, etc, will clog the 02 stone.

If the issue is the O2 stone and not the regulator you will get airflow with the stone removed.

That is true. The stone is VERY easy to clog up, however, it's hard to believe it would stop all flow from the tank

Emailed Northern Brewer - apparently the regulators they had in stock when I ordered mine had some issues. They immediately shipped a new one at no cost and gave me a return label to send back the one I had.

Great customer service on their part and, thankfully, the pilsner is happily chugging away regardless!

Thats great news. It is kinda sad that these days that you can't always get good customer service like you experienced. It really seems to be the exception.

Latest posts

Back