Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opa Joe

Reaction score
Hello all.I've been brewing for 6-7 years and now have a opportunity to brew small batches for a local restaurant. Looking for advice on putting together a 15 gallon system. Thanks in advance. Joey

Sorry for the late reply: Welcome aboard!
I think there are some members using systems that big, and I'm sure you'll find ideas in the DIY sections. Good luck, keep us posted.

Welcome from MN.

I would be wary about trying to sell your beer at a restaurant, there are many, many hurdles to clear to legally do so. It is highly illegal to sell beer without the proper licensure, permits, commercial facility, etc.

Welcome!
I have no experience (nor want to) in commercial brewing - but this might help with setting up a 15 gallon brewery.
I can brew up to 15 gallon batches on my system - 50L mash tun (RIMS), 100L boil kettle (which doubles for heating mash and sparge water). You wouldn't be able to go much smaller than that. All electric, you need at least 4 to 5kW to handle that size batch. That can be an issue with 110V. It would use a lot of gas to direct fire a 15 gallons system.

Some questions for you to decide are:
Off the shelf brewery (expensive, convenient) vs build yourself (cheaper, fun (maybe), more work).
3v (or more?) vs single vessel (eg. BIAB).
Temperature control - how? 15 gallon of fermenting beer produces a lot of heat - you will need to control it.
Fermenters - expensive conicals vs plastic vs other.
Lots more - the point being that there's a lot to think about other than the brewing system itself.

Back