New mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
The wife got me a locally made mash paddle for Christmas. It's sanded smooth but there's no finish or anything on there. It doesn't really make sense to put a coat of anything on there but I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to do to it before, or even after, I use it. I know I might have to sand it smooth again after getting it wet but is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Don't know if there's anything you should do before the first use. I just rinse mine off in the hot water coming out of my chiller (I collect the first 5 gal for cleaning). Maybe take a kitchen scrubby to get off any grain bits. Then just make sure it's completely dry before you pack it away. I let mine sit over night.

You are a fortunate man, cherish her.

What wood is it made of? Some woods (I'm thinking of walnut, but there are many) could transfer an unpleasant flavor. Some might be dangerous. Maple is the usual choice for no taste.

Research the wood, and if it is a safe choice, just enjoy using it. Give it a clean water rinse and let it air dry. No need to sand unless splinters develop.

You are a fortunate man, cherish her.

What wood is it made of? Some woods (I'm thinking of walnut, but there are many) could transfer an unpleasant flavor. Some might be dangerous. Maple is the usual choice for no taste.

Research the wood, and if it is a safe choice, just enjoy using it. Give it a clean water rinse and let it air dry. No need to sand unless splinters develop.
Thanks for the replies, all!

I think it's poplar or pine. Definitely not oak. I've actually been working on my own made from oak but we've had 2 kids since I started the project.

Just wash it and RDWHAHB. Wooden paddles are fine and the amount of flavor compounds released from the paddle is probably negligible, especially so after the initial wash and the first brews. Wooden equipment has been extensively used in brewing and cooking for thousands of years. It's good to hear your wife supports your hobby.

Just wash it and RDWHAHB. Wooden paddles are fine and the amount of flavor compounds released from the paddle is probably negligible, especially so after the initial wash and the first brews. It's good to hear your wife supports your hobby.
Yea, she's a keeper. She also got me 55 lbs of pale malt too!

Thanks for the advice!

Post a pic of your new paddle. I may be able to tell you what kind of wood it is.

Post a pic of your new paddle. I may be able to tell you what kind of wood it is.
Here she is!
1514746614392.jpeg

I'd also go with birch or maple.
As for treatment, don't. Full stop.
I made a hard maple paddle ~14 years ago and have never done anything to it but rinse and dry.
Rarely use it these days as I discovered an underlet mash doesn't need stirring...

Cheers!

I know I might have to sand it smooth again after getting it wet but is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!

I let mine sit in a bucket of clean water during the mash. The idea is the dry paddle will soak clean water instead of soaking up wort. After the brew day is over i rinse it by again soaking in clean water for an hour then hang it dry.

I made mine 2 years ago and have done this every time. I have had no issues with it and have never needed to sand it down. It has also never stained doing this and I brew stouts more than anything else.

I let mine sit in a bucket of clean water during the mash. The idea is the dry paddle will soak clean water instead of soaking up wort. After the brew day is over i rinse it by again soaking in clean water for an hour then hang it dry.

I made mine 2 years ago and have done this every time. I have had no issues with it and have never needed to sand it down. It has also never stained doing this and I brew stouts more than anything else.
Great idea. Soak it before you dough-in then do the same after the yeast it pitched. Thanks!

Great idea. Soak it before you dough-in then do the same after the yeast it pitched. Thanks!
Just in case there's a misunderstanding here: it's a mash paddle. Don't use it in the boil kettle, and most certainly don't let it near anything with yeast. Boiling will ruin it over time, and you probably couldn't adequately sanitize it for fermenter use. You need a long stainless steel spoon for everything but the mash. For mash use, it should still serve for your great grandchildren.

Just in case there's a misunderstanding here: it's a mash paddle. Don't use it in the boil kettle, and most certainly don't let it near anything with yeast. Boiling will ruin it over time, and you probably couldn't adequately sanitize it for fermenter use. You need a long stainless steel spoon for everything but the mash. For mash use, it should still serve for your great grandchildren.

This.

And never use the paddle for anything cold-side. The pores in the wood can harbor all kinds of things you don't want growing in your beer. Get a lang-handled ss spoon for stirring wort.

Haha I got you man. Been brewing since 2012 so it's not my first rodeo I appreciate the clarification though!!

I am on my mobile phone, so can't tell where you're from, but if it's anywhere near Loudoun County, Virginia & if Brew Loco is your LHBS, then I can tell you everything you need to know about that paddle, because I made it

It's definitely hard maple.

Sanded 60/80 to 180, wet then dried, sanded with 220, wet & dried again, then sanded with 320

No oil, shellac or stain.

Maple is naturally bacterial resistant (butcher blocks & bakers tables are maple)

Just wash with mild soap & water, wipe down with a clean towel & air dry

Last edited:
Nice looking paddle! My wife supports my brewing hobby as well, and it's awesome when they surprise you with a useful gift!

John

I am on my mobile phone, so can't tell where you're from, but if it's anywhere near Loudoun County, Virginia & if Brew Loco is your LHBS, then I can tell you everything you need to know about that paddle, because I made it

It's definitely hard maple.

Sanded 60/80 to 180, wet then dried, sanded with 220, wet & dried again, then sanded with 320

No oil, shellac or stain.

Maple is naturally bacterial resistant (butcher blocks & bakers tables are maple)

Just wash with mild soap & water, wipe down with a clean towel & air dry
Why yes, I am native to NoVa! Just got back from the brew club meeting at Brew Loco. Awesome to meet you. Thank for the run down on the paddle. It's beautiful! You should come to a meeting. It's a good small group.

Latest posts

Back