New Mangrove Jack's strains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled my witbier (M21) yesterday. OG 1.045, FG 1.012. Despite being flat, it tasted really nice. Next up is a Belgian single using the Tripel yeast (M31), and a smoked porter using US West Coast (M44).

let us know, im thinking about session strength belgian dark with m31.

If you want high attenuation maybe try the M42?

I'm about to try the M15 for a bitter myself, last 2 I did were with S-04 so will reuse the same grain bill for comparison.

I'm thinking of brewing a dry stout. Would M36 liberty bell be a good choice as a dry yeast or better to go with S-04. I have both here.

If you want to dry I'd stick with M44 (west Coast) Good attenuation and clean.
The Irish ale used for Irish dry stoud is relatively low in esters, so thats what I'd suggest, but the liberty bell is something I've not worked with alot.

Thanks for the replies :mug:

Yes the recipe I was thinking of was an Irish stout which should be brewed with WY1084 Irish Ale. I want to use up some flaked barley I have lying around.

But getting back to the M36 Liberty Bell anyone have a recipe or even style they would recommend using it for?:confused:

Yes the recipe I was thinking of was an Irish stout which should be brewed with WY1084 Irish Ale. I want to use up some flaked barley I have lying around.

But getting back to the M36 Liberty Bell anyone have a recipe or even style they would recommend using it for?:confused:

the old name was burton union - so a burton style ale (bitter or brown ale would be a nice idea)
Yoiu could also try it in a NEIPA?

To follow up from one of my earlier posts, the M21 Witbier turns out a very nice beer!

I'm getting ready to brew an English Brown with it. I can't recommend it because I've never done it before, but it seems like it should work. I was originally going to use it in a bitter, but I changed my to-brew list. Maybe I'll try a bitter in the spring.

To follow up from one of my earlier posts, the M21 Witbier turns out a very nice beer!

I'm getting ready to brew an English Brown with it. I can't recommend it because I've never done it before, but it seems like it should work. I was originally going to use it in a bitter, but I changed my to-brew list. Maybe I'll try a bitter in the spring.

Good to hear the positive feedback about M21.
I order two packs a few months ago to brew a white IPA and a Raging ***** clone sometime this year.

I've actually found the M36 to be a really useful strain for both malt forward beers and aromatic pale ales.

Here's a nice reddish english bitter I make with a moderately dry finish (only trouble is I use NZ ingredients):

80% Gladfield Ale
15% Gladfield Vienna
5% Gladfield Shepards Delight

Balanced water profile (ie: 100 Ca, 100 Cl, 100 SO4)
Mash at 67 dC
1050~1055 OG
~30 IBU (I use 20g of 14%aa for 30min)
Ferment with M36 starting at 19 dC ramping up after initial active phase.
1012~1014 FG

Something else I have done is use the M36 where I would normally use SAF w34/70 (m36 is $2 cheaper, which really isn't that much, but I wanted to experiment)

95% Gladfield Pilsner
5% Gladfield Toffee

Water profile ~ 100 Ca, 75 Cl, 100 SO4
Mash at 67 dC
1055 OG -> 1014 FG

Hop schedule for 19L keg batch:

30 mins:
10g Nelson Sauvin
10g Wakatu

5 mins:
20g Nelson Sauvin
20g Wakatu
20g Riwaka

Post vigorous ferment:
15g Nelson Sauvin
15g Wakatu
15g Riwaka

2 days prior to cold crash:
15g Nelson Sauvin
15g Wakatu
15g Riwaka

This creates an amazingly bright beer with a beautiful aroma and flavour with both w34/70 and M36.

EDIT: had to update the hop values after I got home and checked what my notes said - I don't actually like beers that are too bitter!

It seems like Mangrove Jack's have expanded their product line, but I can't find any US retailers who carry them yet. Has anyone used any of these new strains? Anyone found them in the US?

The new strains are:

M76 Bavarian Lager
M47 Belgian Abbey
M31 Belgian Tripel
M21 Belgian Wit
M54 California Lager
M36 Liberty Bell Ale
M05 Mead
M42 New World Strong Ale

EDIT: A PDF on the MJ site lists a couple other strains not listed above:
M15 Empire Ale
M29 French Saison (!!! 3711?)
You can find it at homebrew supply.com. I just pitch M54 about 12 hours ago and no activity so far. I made a starter to harvest cells for my next brew day. Made enough to have 200 billion extra cells go into the fermentor. I pichted at 68F. Just wondering if this stuff is a slow starter?

In your link you you got 22L @ 1050 OG wort from 3.2Kg Pilsner and 200g acid malt...you sure that's right, I generally get 22L @ 1050 from 4.5 Kg base+specials

Nice to see you use Wakatu and Wai-iti, they're one of my lager comobos as well, it's either that or Sauvin+Wakatu/Pacifica+Riwaka

ah, yes - i see. i'll get it sorted.

Think a review of the results so far is in order.
Time for bed now after a few beers but in the next few days I'll give it a try to put together an overview for people who don't want to read the last 13/14 pages. :mug:

Edit:

It was the beer talking, there is no way I will find the time to review. :p

I know the M15 Empire ale is the one recommended for Scottish heavies but I still have a pack of Liberty Bell.
I was wondering if it would also be OK for a Scottish ale?
I wanted to make something like Innis and Gunn Rum Finish using M36 instead of a liquid Scottish Ale yeast.

Don't have the exact numbers but something with about 7% alc and 30 IBUs
FG of about 1.013

Marris Otter
Caramalt (approx. C15) for some sweetness
Pinch of roasted barley
Pale Chocolate malt
Aged on some medium toasted oak chips soaked in spicy rum

:tank:

Come to think of it has anyone actually used M15 Empire ale in a wee heavy and how did it turn out?

I know the M15 Empire ale is the one recommended for Scottish heavies but I still have a pack of Liberty Bell.
I was wondering if it would also be OK for a Scottish ale?
I wanted to make something like Innis and Gunn Rum Finish using M36 instead of a liquid Scottish Ale yeast.

Don't have the exact numbers but something with about 7% alc and 30 IBUs
FG of about 1.013

Marris Otter
Caramalt (approx. C15) for some sweetness
Pinch of roasted barley
Pale Chocolate malt
Aged on some medium toasted oak chips soaked in spicy rum

:tank:

Come to think of it has anyone actually used M15 Empire ale in a wee heavy and how did it turn out?

Empires the old Newcastle dark right?
I think it'd come out well, just remember that the attneuation is reported as quite low.

Thanks for your answer Crusader, still didn't get around to brewing the wee heavy.

On another topic I want to brew a classic Witbier with a pack of M21. The reports are good for this yeast (including this thread) but what temperatures are you guys fermenting at?
I would usually put it in my fermentation chamber at room temperature (18oC/65F) and ramp it up to about 24oC/72F over a few days. However I only have room for one beer in my temp controlled chamber and I would like to also brew a Belgian IPA with WLP550 on the same day.
Would the M21 still give a decent Witbier at a constant 18oC or better to wait until my chamber is free and brew it later?
I can add some not so well controlled heat with a plant heat mat for a day or two at the end to make sure it is fully attenuated. I was just wondering if I would get a decent flavour profile at 65F.

Thanks! :mug:

Thanks for your answer Crusader, still didn't get around to brewing the wee heavy.

On another topic I want to brew a classic Witbier with a pack of M21. The reports are good for this yeast (including this thread) but what temperatures are you guys fermenting at?
I would usually put it in my fermentation chamber at room temperature (18oC/65F) and ramp it up to about 24oC/72F over a few days. However I only have room for one beer in my temp controlled chamber and I would like to also brew a Belgian IPA with WLP550 on the same day.
Would the M21 still give a decent Witbier at a constant 18oC or better to wait until my chamber is free and brew it later?
I can add some not so well controlled heat with a plant heat mat for a day or two at the end to make sure it is fully attenuated. I was just wondering if I would get a decent flavour profile at 65F.

Thanks! :mug:

Just saw this one. Not sure if you brewed it.
But i think i went with 19/20 up to 22 (although by then it had dropped out) it ferments pretty quickly in my experience.

I just bottled a Trappist Single with the M31 Tripel. BeerSmith estimated an FG of 1.007, but it went all the way down to 1.003. Pleasant peppery spice, and somehow a light residual sweetness. I'll have to wait until it carbs up, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

After 3.5 weeks in the fermenter (busy/lazy -- meant to bottle after two) I expected such a relatively small beer to drop clear, but there's still quite a bit of haze. Next time I think I'll at least consider fining with gelatin, especially if I do a bigger beer.

Just saw this one. Not sure if you brewed it.
But i think i went with 19/20 up to 22 (although by then it had dropped out) it ferments pretty quickly in my experience.

Thanks.
I brewed it about 2.5 weeks ago and actually set up a new fermentation chamber. So I started around 21 and raised it to 25 over the first few days and left it there until the end of 2 weeks. Started at 1.045 and finished at 1.007. Three days in the bottle now so is still a bit flat but has a nice wit flavour. I can hardly taste the spices though so hopefully after it fully conditions these become more apparent. So far so good anyway and it seems like a decent dry yeast alternative. :tank:

Hi. Better are BrewFerm, Lallemand, Mauribrew, Fermentis.
Whole list You will find here:
http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Beer/Beer-Yeast-c59c87.html

beer%20Yeast%20Lallemand-Brewferm-Mongrove-Mauribrew-Fermentis-1200x360.jpg

Using Mangrove Jack dried yeast for the first time. M44 US West Coast Ale Yeast in a Maris Otter/ Amarillo SMaSH IPA. I do BIAB(asket). Mashed for 60 min at 150 F. 1.062 og Added 30 minutes of filtered air to the carboy before pitching yeast cream (1 packet). Fermenting at ~ 67 F. I have a thick pillowy white krausen with active bubbles (1/ sec) less than 30 hours after pitching. There must have been some activity by 24 hours post pitch. I plan to let this go 2 weeks before kegging. I'll report back what the final gravity is and eventual taste when I get there. I'm pleased with the initial activity.

Brewed up 4 beers yesterday.
let them cool over night and will pitch some MGJ yeasts today.
One is a Rye IPA with M42 but the other one is a Cali Common with M54.
I got a bit more beer than expected for the Cali Common so there's not much head space left in my 18L bucket (about 3 litres)
Anyone know if this yeast usually has a big Krausen?
OG is 1.052 so if it's something like US-05 or the M42 it shouldn't be a problem.
I also read it is a slow starter so that also helps.

No that I'm here I have a pack of M36 that I'm still not sure what to do with.
I was thinking of a Brown Porter in the style of Fullers London Porter.
The attenuation might be a bit low though so might add some dark brown sugar to dry it out a bit.

Anyone have another recommendation for M36?

Thanks! :tank:

On a different forum (ba or aussiehomebrewer, not sure) they said that M42 (M07) is in fact the same yeast as Danstar Nottingham.
Does anybody have further information on this?
Thanks!

Kegged the Amarillo SMaSH IPA today. Final Gravity was 1.013 for a 79% attenuation (1 packet). Very pleased with the outcome. Initial taste was very good. Will let it sit on gas for about a week and pour my first pint afterwards. So far I'd definitely use this yeast again. [emoji106]🏻

On a different forum (ba or aussiehomebrewer, not sure) they said that M42 (M07) is in fact the same yeast as Danstar Nottingham.
Does anybody have further information on this?
Thanks!

No it doesn't attenuate as much as notti. Its more comparable to S-04 but much better in my opinion. For a liquid yeast comparison it is like wlp007.

Brewed up 4 beers yesterday.
let them cool over night and will pitch some MGJ yeasts today.
One is a Rye IPA with M42 but the other one is a Cali Common with M54.
I got a bit more beer than expected for the Cali Common so there's not much head space left in my 18L bucket (about 3 litres)
Anyone know if this yeast usually has a big Krausen?
OG is 1.052 so if it's something like US-05 or the M42 it shouldn't be a problem.
I also read it is a slow starter so that also helps.

If I'm allowed to quote myself :)

All 4 beers were bubbling away when I got up this morning. So I don't get this general consensus that mj yeasts are significantly slow starters. The m42 is going crazy and the m54 is a bit more reserved. Will report back in a few weeks. I never brewed a Cali common but have brewed the same rye IPA with US-05 a while back. So I'll see if I can can compare them by memory ;)

No it doesn't attenuate as much as notti. Its more comparable to S-04 but much better in my opinion. For a liquid yeast comparison it is like wlp007.

Hey thanks for the answer.
Do you have any hard facts on that or is it just hearsay? I've read that other people assume it's a dry WLP 007 - and others that say it's Nottingham...
How far does it attenuate for you? According to its data sheet it should attenuate 77-82 % (which would be the Nottingham range). The temperature range doesn't exactly fit Nottingham, it starts too high.
So again: Any facts?
Thanks!

007 is quite fruity, sort of plum-like, just like 002. M42 is not supposed to give these esters.

I read that the Wheat yeast and the Witbier yeast from Mangrove Jacks' are quite OK and reasonable for the style.

Can anybody confirm?

I am also looking for a good belgian strain. I can see they have a few. Are any of those good for saisons and Belgian Dark Strong Ales?

I read that the Wheat yeast and the Witbier yeast from Mangrove Jacks' are quite OK and reasonable for the style.

Can anybody confirm?

I am also looking for a good belgian strain. I can see they have a few. Are any of those good for saisons and Belgian Dark Strong Ales?

I just brewed a Witbier with Mangrove Jack's Witbier yeast. I think it was reasonable. It gave good amount of Witbier characteristics, but also quite strong flavours. I was hoping a bit more delicate ester production for this style. But my fermentation temperature might have been bit too high, and the flavours could mellow with time. Would use diffrent strain next time though.

I like M47 for dubbels and blondes, although you have to push the fermentation temperature a bit to really get the yeast character. It's not the most attenuative strain as Belgians go, so it may not be ideal in a stronger ale.
The M29 is nice for saisons, and very attenuative, but again, I find that it needs higher temperatures to give the right character.

my experience with the Cali Common with M54, it started fine but didn't finish very well and ended up kind of sweet so some rousing might be needed or late sugar

Note my experience at all, but I do use a temp controlled ferm chamber. Are you controlling temperatures?

Back