New kettle- Garage sale find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I picked up a heavy-duty 10 gallon aluminum pot from a garage sale for $15 bucks today. Can't wait to brew with it!

tumblr_mpvzhyb4U31qzqayko1_500.jpg

Just brew with it. It will be fine.

I think the need to boil to make an oxide layer may be the biggest myth and waste of time in home brewing...

A properly conditioned aluminum pot will be almost black inside from the oxidized layer. After that only use a soft dish cloth or sponge and mild detergent to clean. Nothing abrasive that will remove the coating.

I think the need to boil to make an oxide layer may be the biggest myth and waste of time in home brewing...
Here's an experiment for you. Boil water in a pot that hasn't been conditioned. The water will have a black residue. Rinse it out and wipe it clean, but do not remove the layer. Boil again. The water will be clear. If you want that black crap from the first boil in your beer, by all means, don't condition it first.

Why don't you do it and take some pictures for me. I don't have a new pot.

Restaurants don't "condition" pots.

It's a waste of time.

BTW, the black residue is left over from the manufacturing process. If you wash the pan out it before you use it, you will not have anything in the water.

Oh yeah, Good score for the OP ;)

The black oxide layer is more of a protection from the acidic nature of beer wort. Cutting fluids,oils,etc used in processing the metal can be black. But ime,that was from the used motor oil used in processing. yuk...

Back