New Kettle Break in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dest149

Reaction score
Do I need to "break in" my new 5 gallon kettle. I just finished washing it, but I was wondering if I needed to boil water in it first, and if so how much for how long. And would I need to clean it again afterwords?

If its stainless steel...just use it. Aluminum benefits from a water boil, it helps build up a protective oxidative layer.

I love my polished SS brew kettles! Way easier to live with. And I can re-polish them with an SOS soap pad now & then to keep them clean & shiny. After the sos pad,rinse well with hot water,fill part way with hot water again,& wipe it down with a soft cloth to make sure all the pad's soap is gone. Then I dry it off & put it back in the bottom of my fermenter stand/storage unit.

Yep, the aluminum does benefit from a "break-in" boil with plain water. No necessary in stainless.

Aside from that, just keep it clean. If you'd be comfortable making a pot of chili in it for your family, then it's clean enough for beer, too.

SS brew-pots are great! I just give mine a good wipe-down with a wet cloth before brewing (in case it had been sitting for a while and gotten dust on it) and a wash with a little soap and hot water afterwards.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I just got a new 10 gal mega pot 1.2 and I'm going to brew tomorrow. It sounds like there is no break in for a ss pot but I assume I need to do a quick soap wash, correct? Maybe some oxyclean?

Latest posts

Back