New Kegs now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
So I have gotten myself 2 new kegs (new to me). What are some things I need to look for (wear and tear sort of thing) and what are some general maintenance things I should do (I know I need to de-gunk them but sterilze etc).

For you keggers out there what are some good practice points I should look at. Also what do I have here?

Keg1.JPG

Keg2.JPG

Keg3.JPG

Keg4.JPG

You don't want those :) you want the pin-lock variety. Pack those up and ship them to me and I'll take 'em off your hands :p

Seriously though.. Looks like you've got two used Ball-Lock kegs. Get yourself two replacement o-ring kits, soak them in PBW for a while to clean out any latent beer/soda gunk, and start kegging.

You'll need a CO2 bottle, a regulator, and all of the fixings that go with it. Most every online retailer will have that kit.

the basic jist is easy. You fill it with uncarbonated beer; hook up the gas to the "IN" port; let it sit at pressure for around two weeks; and serve from a faucet (either mounted in your fridge or a picnic tap connected to the "out" port)

do get the replacement o-rings though. The posts come off with a socket and you can dissamble the whole she-bang. Soak all the little parts then replace the o-rings and you're good to go.

They're getting hard to find these days... I've been paying upwards of 40$ for them when just a few years ago they were $20.

-S

Thanks for the reply. I've noticed that in both of my kegs I have the dip tube. If I'm going to be doing soda can I take it out or should I leave it in regardless of what i'm making?

I'm pretty stoked to finally do forced carbination...........

you kinda have to have that dip tube :) it's used as the exit point for the liquid. If you didn't have it nothing would come out of the keg.

LOL...I'm a bit of newb when it comes to using KEGS. I'm looking at the o-rings and such and they all seem in great condition, the popups ?? look new and the posts for the connectors also appear really new. The only thing I'm looking at now is some of the wash you mentioned before, some hose for air and liquid and a picnic tap...... Hard to find in my neck of the north.

I found this post, and updated the pricing as of today at McMaster.

From the FAQs on http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=34669
Quote:
Q: I just got a bunch of used kegs and I want to replace the o-rings. Do you know where I can get them in bulk?
A: Sure. You can get corny keg o-rings from McMaster-Carr. Here's what you'll need (prices as of May 1, 2005):

(1) Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$2.24 (now $2.21)

(2) Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.77 (Now $2.48)

(3) Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50 (Now $12.69)

Q: What about the so-called quad-rings (a.k.a., h-rings, double-seal rings) for the dip tube seals?
A: Dip tube seals: 90025K368 - Double Seal Buna-N O-Ring As568A Dash #109, Pkg 100/$4.72 (Now $7.61)
Post O-Rings (A70 durometer): 90025K224 Dash #111, Pkg 100/$11.40 (Now $11.54)
Post O-Rings (A50 durometer): 2418T136 Dash #111, Pkg 100/$9.00 (Now $9.60 per pack of 90)

Q: Those are more expensive than the regular o-rings. What's the advantage?
A: They seal without excessive force. Tightening the posts too much can result in galling the threads.

Q: I've also heard that silicone o-rings work better than Buna-N on the posts. Is there a part number for these?
A: 9396K24 - Silicone O-Ring As568A Dash#111 Pkg 100/$13.53 (Now $11.48)
The list is fron 2005 so I added current pricing.

You can do that or you can just order the Keg O-Ring set from Northern Brewer which has all the parts you need in one purchase and one bag. Plus combine it with any other order you'll be making and the shipping is dirt cheap.

LOL...I'm a bit of newb when it comes to using KEGS. I'm looking at the o-rings and such and they all seem in great condition, the popups ?? look new and the posts for the connectors also appear really new. The only thing I'm looking at now is some of the wash you mentioned before, some hose for air and liquid and a picnic tap...... Hard to find in my neck of the north.

In the bottling/kegging forum there is a sticky on the top of the page with links to vendors that sell all the different small parts you need.

Thanks everyone for the information - I am hoping to replace the seals here soon and find a CO2 bottle this weekend in Montana (when I go across the border). I'm pretty excited to get going on my first recipe for forced carbonation.

King

In the bottling/kegging forum there is a sticky on the top of the page with links to vendors that sell all the different small parts you need.

nope not yet..... I am also trying to find a CO2 tank. the only place in my neck of the woods wants me to pay 85$ / year to lease the tank and then 52$ per fill (basically every time I bring it in to get a new bottle I pay 52$ and then 85$ / year for that priv).

!$!%!(&@$

nope not yet..... I am also trying to find a CO2 tank. the only place in my neck of the woods wants me to pay 85$ / year to lease the tank and then 52$ per fill (basically every time I bring it in to get a new bottle I pay 52$ and then 85$ / year for that priv).

!$!%!(&@$

Balls... that sucks.

Good news, like I said is that I'm headed to Montana this weekend and am headed to the LHBS in Great Falls. Hopefully i'll be able to find some of the things I need at a reasonable price.....SWMBO doesnt appreciate that I have expensive hobbies (guns, ammo, computers and tech, now soda). oh well..........

So are you planning on just buying up 5-6 tanks or one huge one and taking a road trip when they are all empty?

going to buy 1x10LB tank......There is a fire safety place in my hometown that can fill CO2 and we also have a paintball outfitter that I'm sure could fill the tank as well.

Pretty sure that even tho i'm from canada the attachments should be the same ....... right?

lol

well crap and beans......I cant find a CO2 tank anywhere. I tried with the local welding places but they want an arm and a leg plus yearly maintenance costs; I checked with coke and pepsi same deal......Where do people get their co2 tanks anyway?

Many of the fine vendors here on HBT sell empty CO2 tanks.

Yes it is nice to say that but I live in Canada and its a pain to pay for shipping. I know i could do border storage but still the time it takes to get to the border and then get it back ends up costing me more!!!

I guess it really depends on how much I want one eh.......

:drunk:

Back