New Johnson Controls A419 Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
Three days in a row I get home and go downstairs to pour myself a nice, crisp, clean brew only to find that my lines and top of the keg have frozen. I warm it up to pour and then readjust the temperature in an attempt to avoid another freeze, only to find it again.

Its not the first time and I'm sick of it, so I picked up the control tonight and set it at 36 degrees.....Anything has to be better than what I've got now :)

Anyone else using the control? Seemed to be pretty easy to setup and power on.

Do you have a fan circulating the air when you compressor kicks on..? I put a server fan in mine an run the probe down about halfway..

During my build the research i did said it was must..

It appeared from what I read that the default jumpers would work, and it shows in cooling mode.

Its holding right around 36 degrees (set for 37 with a 1 deg diff)

I just got a new one and I didn't like the default mode. Unlike my ranco the Johnson runs in a mode which takes your target temp minus the diff before stopping. This means your 36 - 1 will have it run till 35 and kick back in at 36. IMO, this is too agressive and will keep freezing.

In my 419, I switched to the mode to only turn on if the temp reaches target + diff. In your case that would have it turn on at 37 and shut off at 36.

I still think this is too cold, but only experiments will confirm the right range. However, I prefer the diff being added to target since this matches my other controllers. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back