New Imperial brand IPA yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbagger

Bone Breaker Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody pick up any Imperial A30 Corporate? I originally went to get supplies for a blonde ale but my LHBS just got it in stock a couple days ago and I thought the description was interesting.

“Corporate is a Pacific Northwest favorite and is an excellent choice when making hop forward American style beers. It’s the go to for Brut IPAs, due to its clean fermentation profile and accentuation of hop flavor and aroma. Middle of the road flocculation and fairly wide fermentation profile make this an easy strain to work with.”

So I’m now brewing a mosaic ipa this week lol. Pretty excited to play with it. Just wondering if/what others are planning to brew with it.

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's definitely Elysian yeast, so I'd say if you've ever had Space Dust you kinda have a sense of what it can do.

Yesterday morning I made a 800ml starter @ 1.040. Within 2 hours I had krausen all over the place. I waited a few more hours until dropped back down. Cleaned my flask and stir plate up and put an airlock on it. Just checked on it and looks like it took off again over night and puked krausen all over the counter again. This is some interestingly virulent yeast! 20 hours in and it still looks like this. Guess I’ll be putting the big airlocks this beer. Lol

IMG_2676.jpg

Just a heads up, but you don't need an airlock for a starter. In fact, oxygen is good here! Just use some sanitized tin foil or a foam stopper.

Also, a very small dab of fermcap helps keep the krausen in the flask.

Just a heads up, but you don't need an airlock for a starter. In fact, oxygen is good here! Just use some sanitized tin foil or a foam stopper.

Also, a very small dab of fermcap helps keep the krausen in the flask.

I had foil over it for most of the time, I switched it out for an airlock right before bed and apparently that made it angry. Lol

The point about trying to work out the origin is to get a handle on its brewing characteristics before brewing with it.

It seems to be one of the clean US yeasts, but this thread suggests it’s not one of the “slow” BRY-97 types. So I’d work on the assumption that it’s a Chico derivative and keep a close eye on the ways that it’s different, because it won’t be the same.

But 13% Crystal malt for an IPA? And the SRM also seems very high, like Irish Red ale high. You already have 13% Vienna, so if you really want some Crystal in there, cut it down to 3-5% and add some more base malt. It could drown the hops at this rate.

If you want the hops to shine ( more so ? ), use a mix of 2-row ( 75% ) and Vienna ( 25% ) and I bet you will be pleased with the results. The beer will look lighter, but have enough malt character due to the malt combination and most likely, the aroma and flavour profile, will be cleaner and crisper.

The point about trying to work out the origin is to get a handle on its brewing characteristics before brewing with it.

It seems to be one of the clean US yeasts, but this thread suggests it’s not one of the “slow” BRY-97 types. So I’d work on the assumption that it’s a Chico derivative and keep a close eye on the ways that it’s different, because it won’t be the same.

And as a fairly new brewer, talking about the technical side of yeast strains, their origins, and where they are going, is above and beyond the scope of my experience and/or interest at this point. That is why I wanted to ask people what they are doing/planning to do with this yeast rather than talk about the aforementioned.

I do appreciate the thought and devotion you guys put into the subject, but as I said, it's above my head. I'm sure at some point in the near future I will be there, but it's not right now.

Last edited:
But 13% Crystal malt for an IPA? And the SRM also seems very high, like Irish Red ale high. You already have 13% Vienna, so if you really want some Crystal in there, cut it down to 3-5% and add some more base malt. It could drown the hops at this rate.

If you want the hops to shine ( more so ? ), use a mix of 2-row ( 75% ) and Vienna ( 25% ) and I bet you will be pleased with the results. The beer will look lighter, but have enough malt character due to the malt combination and most likely, the aroma and flavour profile, will be cleaner and crisper.

It's a recipe I found and liked the the reviews of. It was described as an IPA for those who do not really like IPA's. Being someone who is not a big fan of them, I figured I would give it a go. The mosaic hops should give it some fruity notes and I hoped the "hop forward" yeast would enhance them. But opening the dialog about what people are doing with this yeast could give me (and maybe other new brewers) a better insight into the effects of the yeast and quite possibly the brewing process in general.

I'll take your advice into consideration and on the next batch adjust accordingly to my taste. Thank you for your advice.

I have no experience with this particular yeast, but the description tells you that is intended for clean, crisp, " in your face ", hop forward beers. An IPA is usually a showcase for hops, where the a subtle malt presence is acceptable, but not neccessarily needed ( adjusted to your own taste ). Of course, an IPA - as with NEIPAs - can definitely benefit from a successful combination of flavourful malt, yeast and hops.

being the lazy guy i am, i might call Imperial and talk with them about the yeast. i live about 3 miles from their plant and have talked with them at length, finding them very friendly and helpful. The place is lousy with homebrewers :)

Back