New house has hops in yard!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
So My wife and I just got our first house and are very excited about having a big back yard! The previous owner said he planted 3 cascades and 2 chinook about three years ago but couldn't remember which ones were which! Is there any way to tell cascade and chinook apart from just looking at the plant? They are just now coming up and they all look the same!

The ability to tell those two varieties apart should be pretty easy. They both put out pretty large cones with maybe 12-16 joints on the strig, but the Cascade has bracts that hug the cone http://www.scottlabsltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/hop-4.jpg and the Chinook usually flair outward at the tips http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/chinook-hop-vine-14056948.jpg, at least here in NEOhio. The lupulin is usually a little darker on the Cascades but a little heavier on the Chinook

What he said. Also its nice he planted more of one than the other, when it comes time, you may be able to pick the two that look different from the other three.

Congrats on your first house, and the bonus of hops! If you live in a climate that has winter, this time of year you are likely to see all kinds of neat surprises coming to life.

Not much experience here, I'm only in my second year. But if they are anything like mine, the Cascades will be the first ones to sprout.

I have 3 Cascades, one from rhizome, one from cutting, and one from layering, these were the first 3 to come up.

I have 3 Chinook, similarly grown, and they were the next 3 to come up.

I have 1 Willamette from rhizome. It came up #7.

I have 3 Centennial, grown similarly to the Cascades and Chinook. The first one came up this past weekend. Still waiting for the last 2.

What B-HOPPY said. My chinook looks just like the second picture. They also are far more frangrant.very resinous and piney, with hints of citrus, where my cascade is more muted, but still fruity.

Congrats on the new home! Did it come with the trellis?

Thanks for the help I'm super stocked to have a house and one that came with hops!!

Speaking of moving. Looks like I'll be relocating to Las Vegas. Can hops grow there??

Back