New homebrewer in Montana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky

Reaction score
I was directed here by a member of a car forum I am on when I said I picked up my homebrewing stuff. I've been lurking since wednesday night, just reading and taking it all in. I read that nice long thread of one liner (mostly) advice, and its helped a lot. I've started my first batch already. Its a hefeweizen kit from my LHBS. Its been in the primary since Wednesday and is fermenting nicely. I will admit I was worried when I was seeing a bubble in my air lock every 5-6 seconds, I was expecting more. Now I know its going good. I cant wait to try it out.

A little about me. I am 21 years old, born and raised in San Jose CA. I enlisted in the AF at 18. I am stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls MT maintaining the electronic and electromechanical systems on the Minuteman III ICBM. I'm not new to forums, and I like this one so far. I hope to learn a lot and make beers worthy of being proud of. I promise to be as un-noob-like as possible ;).

Welcome from Helena!

:rockin: I rarely come across other people in Montana on forums. I was amazed to find there is a home brew store here in great falls. All the grains, yeast, malt, recipes, and supplies I could ever ask for. Beer tasting/swapping every third tuesday. Its the main reason I decided to actually get into this, not having to order everything online was a huge deciding factor.

Ducky,

Holy cow, I used to live in Great Falls, on 15th Street, right across the road from some crappy grocey store, right along the river.

I have been to Malmstorm many times for different things....

Its a small world.

:rockin: I rarely come across other people in Montana on forums. I was amazed to find there is a home brew store here in great falls. All the grains, yeast, malt, recipes, and supplies I could ever ask for. Beer tasting/swapping every third tuesday. Its the main reason I decided to actually get into this, not having to order everything online was a huge deciding factor.

There's at least one Great Fallsish guy on here too.

Yep, Jon's a good guy. I just ordered ingredients from him today. Hope to see you at next months beer swap. Oh, and welcome to the boards

Ducky,

Holy cow, I used to live in Great Falls, on 15th Street, right across the road from some crappy grocey store, right along the river.

I have been to Malmstorm many times for different things....

Its a small world.

well, good to see you got out ;)

I am stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls MT

lived near there a few years ago...If you get a chance to go check out glacier national park during a weekend or something its really nice. And brewing beer there will get you a long way with the locals:rockin:

Welcome to HBT

Yep, Jon's a good guy. I just ordered ingredients from him today. Hope to see you at next months beer swap. Oh, and welcome to the boards

well, good to see you got out ;)

I cant wait! By then I will be able to share my first brew for some helpful criticism. I was in the field on this thursday, so I missed it. I was really looking forward to going and meeting some people, trying some beers, getting some tips and tricks.

scinerd3000 said:
lived near there a few years ago...If you get a chance to go check out glacier national park during a weekend or something its really nice. And brewing beer there will get you a long way with the locals :rockin:

Welcome to HBT
Glacier is BEAUTIFUL! Last summer is affectionately known as "the summer that never was" due to insane work issues. So I missed out on a lot of the fun things to do up here. This summer should be different.

And thanks for the hearty welcome everyone :rockin:

Ive been to glacier NP, to fight fires.. Roberts fire to be exact.. spent over a moth in the park..

Does that make me cool? We shut down the park during prime tourist season....

Ive been to glacier NP, to fight fires.. Roberts fire to be exact.. spent over a moth in the park..

Does that make me cool? We shut down the park during prime tourist season....

There were some pretty bad fires two years ago. I went with my parents and while the park was open, the smoke hindered the view pretty bad.

Ducky,

All that burn scar on the west of the Camas road, & north of the Flathead River all the way back to Kalispel is some of my work.

Big nasty fire.....Nice chunck on the world tho. Rugged terrain.

Ducky,

All that burn scar on the west of the Camas road, & north of the Flathead River all the way back to Kalispel is some of my work.

Big nasty fire.....Nice chunck on the world tho. Rugged terrain.

Thanks to you and your fellow firefighters for the work you did and still do. It would be a tragedy to lose that park. And you guys definitely have more balls than I do. :mug:

It's beautiful :ban:

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the yard working :(

Agreed. I've spent a lot of time grilling and sitting around the fire pit recently. I'm gonna be stuck all this week around lewistown, so I just bought a few pounds of steak and ground beef so I can grill all week :rockin:.

Agreed. I've spent a lot of time grilling and sitting around the fire pit recently. I'm gonna be stuck all this week around lewistown, so I just bought a few pounds of steak and ground beef so I can grill all week :rockin:.

Good on ya! After a long day of sweating in the sun I just grillled up 3 pounds of tri-tip and am now enjoying one of my Moose Drool clones :mug:

Lewistown has a few bars I've been in. Hey will you be traveling by Belt on the way? There's a nice brewery there.

Lewistown has a few bars I've been in. Hey will you be traveling by Belt on the way? There's a nice brewery there.

If Ducky is from Malmstrom, I'm sure he's had a few of Harvest Moon's finest. Belt is minutes away from GF, and worth the drive! :mug:

What was the name of that Steak house way the hell out in the middle of nowhere east of great falls, towards the belts?
The Bar S? It actually moved. Its much bigger, nicer, and closer. In fact, walking distance from the base now. And sadly, I have not been to Harvest Moon :(, I've tried but they were closed.

And Ceedubya, You are going to have to give the recipe for your moose drool clone. Thats good stuff.

The Bar S? It actually moved. Its much bigger, nicer, and closer. In fact, walking distance from the base now. And sadly, I have not been to Harvest Moon :(, I've tried but they were closed.

And Ceedubya, You are going to have to give the recipe for your moose drool clone. Thats good stuff.

its not hard to find...just use the search function..........

:rockin: will do

Sorry... I was a little drunk and pissed off this morning, didn't mean to be so short :eek:

Here is the link to the thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/moose-drool-big-sky-brewery-81007/index7.html

I couldnt get all the hops from the LHBS so I used 100% Fuggle. As evidenced by the amount that me and my friends put away last night, I would say we have a winner! Jon actually has put together another batch for me I was supposed to pick it up Thursday but didn't make it up there, hopefully on Tuesday. Anyway, he should be familiar with the recipe, just tell him its Calvin's moose drool clone.

So you are one of the guys that drive like a grandma on the county roads. ;) I'm just up the road in Vaughn. Let me know when you want to give allgrain a try. Feel free to invite yourself out for a brew day.

Since the MT HBTers are all flocking to this thread, who would be interested in helping me fill a 55 gal barrel with something sour if I bought it?

OMG. Now you are talking. Count me in for up to ten gallons. When are you thinking? This is a busy time of year on the farm, so I would need some warning unless you wait until fall.

OMG. Now you are talking. Count me in for up to ten gallons. When are you thinking? This is a busy time of year on the farm, so I would need some warning unless you wait until fall.

I think he said he'd have some barrels available in July! I'll keep you updated. I'm sure we can talk Ceedubya into it too.

So you are one of the guys that drive like a grandma on the county roads. ;) I'm just up the road in Vaughn. Let me know when you want to give allgrain a try. Feel free to invite yourself out for a brew day.

Hahaha, by AF law we are required to drive 25 on gravel, posted speed limits in pickups, and 65 max in cranes, semi's, M-Vans, etc. Therefore I will not admit that I drive around 60 on gravel ;). I actually just had some random old lady in a tie-die shirt hug me at the gas station there in Vaughn right after you get off 15. That was weird lol. I'm definitely going to have to make the short drive over there this summer and check out all grain brewing and get some brew ideas.

Hahaha, by AF law we are required to drive 25 on gravel, posted speed limits in pickups, and 65 max in cranes, semi's, M-Vans, etc. Therefore I will not admit that I drive around 60 on gravel ;). I actually just had some random old lady in a tie-die shirt hug me at the gas station there in Vaughn right after you get off 15. That was weird lol. I'm definitely going to have to make the short drive over there this summer and check out all grain brewing and get some brew ideas.

Yah we farm around a lot of missile sites. I have always wondered what caused the rule that you guys have to drive so slow. I'm guessing someone must have ran a very expensive military rig into the ditch or maybe someone came over a hill and piled into a tractor. Anyways thanks for your service.

Yah we farm around a lot of missile sites. I have always wondered what caused the rule that you guys have to drive so slow. I'm guessing someone must have ran a very expensive military rig into the ditch or maybe someone came over a hill and piled into a tractor. Anyways thanks for your service.
Its been that way forever. Before MT had speed limits, EVERYTHING was limited to 25 on gravel and 55 on paved. Cops still manage to flip humvees all the time. Maintenance is better, we've never flipped a vehicle. And thanks for the recognition. Great Falls isnt too fond of us so its rare to get that around here.

Back