New HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robocop89

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m building a HERMS system and I’ll describe the equipment. I would like receive suggestions to can improve that. My intention is to produce 50 liters.

- HLT – 20 liters kettle with a chiller (18 meters)
- MT – 92 liters kettle with a “PVC bazooka” – 4000 watts heating capacity
- BT – 92 liters – 5000 watts heating capacity
- 32 plate wort chiller
- Solar pump
- 02 PIDs to control the temperature

Is the length of chiller ok? (or need a bigger chiller?)
Is the heating capacity of MT and BT good?
Is the 20 liters kettle good for HLT?

Thanks a lot for your help.

For a herms, your heat source should be in the hlt. For 50 liters, you will need around 40 liters of sparge water. So you hlt should be bigger. I fill my mlt with the strike water and heat through my herms coil, so your hlt does not need to be the size to hold sparge plus strike. 18 meters is fine for length, make sure it is 1/2(not sure the metric size).

Hello,

I have a question about HERMS:

- Need to recirculate the wash water?

Or when I go adding additional water as I open the valve transferring the pot to go to BK?

If correct what I wrote above, I will not do more clarification? Or clarification will occur because during the entire brewing circled the wort?

Thank you for your help,

Not sure Iunderstand. Your water in the hlt needs to be stirred or recirculated to prevent stratification. You mash liquid is also constantly circulated through the herms. When you sparge the hlt water is applied on top of the mash, the wort is slowly drained from the bottom

Is it 85 liters kettle ok to boil 70 liters?

Or I need a bigger kettle?

Back