new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBrob

Reaction score
i made my first beer last night and didnt add sugar. can i add sugar after fermentation starts? i used 3lb amber dme,1.5 lb bavarian dme, 1ozwillamet hops@30min. 1/2oz saaz hop@5 min.& 1oz amarillo hops as it cooled. this was a 2 gallon boil in 4.5gal jug with airlock. oh and safale s04 yeast@ 65-70 degrees storeage. gravity was1.030. willthis make beer or you know? i see the other yooper used some grain ....crystal 60. any thouhgts?

First, welcome. Second, don't add sugar to your first beer. Third, you will definitely be making beer.

Finally, you should take a look at the beginner forum here, at the top of the forum are some stickies you should read. Also, you can take a look at www.howtobrew.com And if you are a more visual learner, you can go to www.basicbrewing.com and order one of their dvds.

Cheers, Salud and Skaal!

thanks.... i got home from work last night and it bubblen up a storm. even had a head on the airlock. so i guess this is all in the learning. planning on another batch tomarrow ,the only difference would be to steep about 6oz flaked barley &about 4oz flakedwheat for about 15 min @150, in 2 gal. mix in the dme [same 4.5lb as above] boil @170 add 1oz chinook @ 30 min & amarillo 1oz end of boil. total45min. flaked stuff is all i can find around here. wadda ya think?

Latest posts

Back