New guy making cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmech_63

Reaction score
Howdy all!. I've been a long time lurker on the cider thread but a long time brewer. I decided to give hard cider a whirl! I used 3 gallons of pasturized orchard cider and 2 gallons of tree top cider from the store. Added 2lbs of light brown sugar and 4tsp of Fermax nutrient, then sprinkled on a packet of EC1118. I had activity 1 day after pitching and its now happily bubbling away. It formed about 1/4 inch of krausen but still seems happy. Starting gravity was 1.069, 3 days later it's 1.028. I know from the beer side of the house to only believe the hydrometer but how long do you normally keep this batch in primary? A set amount of weeks or until you get a consistent reading over 3 days? I'm from the school of fermenting beer in primary for 3 or so weeks to let the yeast finish the job, is it the same for cider?

Cider fermenting times seem to be much more variable than beers, anywhere from 5 days to 6 months depending of a wide range of factors like juice properties, fermentation temp, yeast choice, and use of nutrients. Racking times depend on how clear you want it. If clarity is a goal, then I suggest racking to secondary once fermentation has slowed, but before it's completely done. That way the ending fermentation forms a protective CO2 blanket over the cider while allowing time to let the cider fall bright. Otherwise, just go ahead a treat it like a beer, and let the batch go dry before racking off the lees.

Back