New guy from Woodinville, WA USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJay

Reaction score
Hi all - I've been watching this forum a long time and thought I'd finally introduce myself.

I live in Woodinville, WA, which is a tiny town northeast of Seattle and is a haven for wineries (there's got to be 100 here), at least one big commercial brewery, and I think we're up to 3 distilleries.

Professionally, I work for one of the largest wine companies in the US and I know a lot about commercial wine making, distribution, laws, and so forth. I don't do any home winemaking, because I have easy access to a lot of world quality wine, and because I don't know where to source home-winemaker quantities of quality fruit (I could scare up 50 tons...but 50 lbs eludes me).

So I'm here for the beer. I've been brewing small batches of all-grain recipes (thats all I've ever done, in fact) and am really enjoying it. I'm particularly interested in developing all-organic recipes since my wife is a bit of a natural foods hippie.

I love doing the small batches since I can keep the pipeline full of various all-grain experiments.

Hi and welcome. I brew using mostly organic grains and hops, you can check it out at the link under my signature. Also, in the Recipes/Ingredients subforum, there is a stick thread on finding organic ingredients.

Welcome to the group, and the hobby, from CO :mug:

I have friends and family in the wine industry, if you befriend them and share some great homebrew, they might be willing to trade some grapes at harvest time.

I was in your back yard this past weekend. Stopped by the Red Hook Brewery and enjoyed lunch and did their little tour. The next day we went to the Woodinville Whiskey Co for their tour. Did you know the Woodinville Whiskey Co sells their 8gal Whiskey barrels that were used to age maple syrup too? I can’t wait to do my first oaked Barley Wine in one of their barrels.

How funny. I work for the winery across the street but my office is actually in space we lease from Red Hook. They had a batch going today and you could smell the barley from a block away.

I have not been to Woodinville Whiskey since they moved to the new building but I should walk there over lunch. I have one of their barrel aging kits where you basically turn straight white dog into bourbon. It's been an education playing with that kit.

Welcome. You might be interested in the Cascade brewers club. We meet the first Tue. of the month at 7 at Twelve Bars brewery in Woodinvile. Small very knowledgeable group. Also very helpful and fun.

I started out making wine, but it took too long to mature. So, I took up brewing beer. It's harder than wine, but worth it.

Good Luck,

I've got a rye barrel from Woodinville too. We have aged a handful of stouts and barleywines in it. And have been meaning to get a aging kit for sometime now, just haven't grabbed one yet. Not to mention a college buddy who has been helping them out is now going full time with them. Small world. Welcome to brewing. My brewing buddy Nate is on HBT and goes to Woodinville weekly, would be cool to arrange a brew day. Welcome.

I didn't know about them until a week or so ago when a homebrewing co-worker told me about them. I need to swing by there some weekend when he's open.

He's got a great set-up in his garage... makes one consider a whole lot of possibilities out there.

Back