New guy from Idaho

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals I assume.) Thought I would follow good form and introduce myself. I have been lurking for several weeks now and finally decided to jump in.

My name is Shawn, and I just started officially brewing last week. Have been wanting to get into it for years, but could never keep cash around long enough to put the equipment together. Finally used Christmas as an excuse and got enough gear to start my first batch.
I got into the hobby from a friend/coworker that has been brewing for years and has given me loads of great info and loaned equipment.
Coincidentally, I recently found out that my grandfather (passed away before I was born) was the brew master of the local brewery in my home town, and allegedly did some moon-shining before that.

First batch is an extract/partial mash Alaskan Amber clone from the LHBS. Had the usual rookie mishaps: may have scorched my LME, water volume was oddly wrong after topping off, didn't check my borrowed refractometer beforehand (tops out at 1.035, WTF??)... but overall I'm really happy. She's fermenting well, and looks good so far.

So glad to have you man! You are on the brink of a truly awesome hobby and community. One tip - start your next brew before you even taste that first batch. And BTW - it's going to be great anyway - you just made beer!

Welcome!

Back