New Future Kegging Master Questions :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoolBrews

Reaction score
I've been brewing for nearly 20 years, but am just now kegging for the first time!

Several questions:

Is there a specific thread thread here for new kegger questions?

I just racked my first batch in a keg - it's in the kegerator cooling right now. Can I let it set for several weeks before I actually carbonate it? Going out of town, and don't trust leaving my new keg setup pressurized while I'm gone.

Thanks in advance!

I've been brewing for nearly 20 years, but am just now kegging for the first time!

Several questions:

Is there a specific thread thread here for new kegger questions?

I just racked my first batch in a keg - it's in the kegerator cooling right now. Can I let it set for several weeks before I actually carbonate it? Going out of town, and don't trust leaving my new keg setup pressurized while I'm gone.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com

There's the kegging forum. The second two stickies might be helpful to you!

Its fine to leave the keg. Honestly, I'd hook it to CO2 and leave it at serving pressure, but not hook up anything to the liquid(out) post. It'll carb up while you're away and be closer to ready when you're back...

If you can't trust it when you're gone, how can you ever trust it then? Sh*t can happen anytime...

Cheers!

Totally agree with goehaarden. Just make sure it's not leaking before you leave and it should be fine.

You can wait, but I think you should fill the head space with co2 to avoid oxidation.
As a new kegger I think it's wise of you to wait until you're back home before carbonating it fully.

What kind of keg do you have? Corny, sankey or something else?

Let me expound on what I said above. As kiwipen said, there is wisdom in waiting to carbonate. I was speaking for the way that I would approach it if it was my first keg. I would much rather come home to my brew nicely carbonated and ready to drink rather than having to wait.

There are horror stories about kegs blowing out in the middle of the night or whatever. I have not yet had that happen. I'm sure it might one day, but in either case I'm sure it will do it when I'm not watching it and it will be a disaster either way.

Thanks for the advice! I have two Corny kegs - my 1st is ready for carbonation but I'm flying out early tomorrow and will be gone for a week. My 2nd batch is in the secondary, so I was thinking I would wait till I get back, rack the 2nd one to my 2nd keg, then carbonate both at the same time. I did fill the head space.

Another question: According to the tables, I should be around the 2.2 volume range. At 32 degrees, that should be 4-5psi. If I set it at that without doing a force carbonation, how long till it's ready? 2 weeks? That gives the beer time to condition... and makes both batches ready for 9/30. Woohoo!

I'm retiring at the end of September. My project will be to build an outdoor Tiki bar, with my brews as the centerpiece (of course)! I bought a kegerator with a triple tap... thinking I might put a cider on the 3rd tap for those guests who don't like beer (a personal trait that I just don't understand). I currently have a Smithwicks clone and and an Orange Creamsicle ale going on.

Last edited:
Yeah, from what I understand if you leave it at the recommended equilibrium pressure it will carb to the proper level in about two weeks. I have never actually done this as I always force carb, so I cannot verify that firsthand.

I'll let you know how it goes... and I just read through the recommended stickies - should have done that before I asked!

Question on pressure when carbonating - I turn on the main valve, set both kegs to 10 psi (I have a dual regulator setup). Can I turn off the main at this point?

My expectation (with the main off) would be that I would see the psi on each keg slowly drop over time as the Co2 is absorbed by the beer. When I see it drop to 9 psi, I would then open the main to bring it back to 10 psi, then turn main off again.

Is this correct? And any reason why I need to leave the main on (ie, do I need it left on to "force" the 10 psi into the beer?)

Thanks in advance!

I am SO pumped! Two great beers, and both will be tapped and served at my retirement party at the end of the month!!!

If you're leak free, I'd leave everything on at serving pressure

I have run into a serious issue with my first two kegs, and am looking for some ideas as to what to look at. Both kegs have an awful aftertaste to them - and when I saw awful, I mean undrinkable. Very bitter and tangy in a bad way. I was planning on serving these at a party, but am now looking at getting a commercial keg as I can't serve these.

I have been brewing for nearly 20 years - never had this kind of issue with bottling before. These are my first two kegs. I am using a Kegland Kegerator Series 4 triple tap. It came with beverage and gas lines - that is what I am using.

My two kegs were purchased new from Northwest brewing. I cleaned everything with one step cleaner, and ejected the cleaning solution from the kegs using CO2. Once the kegs were full of CO2, I then transferred each batch into the keg. Both batches were in primary for a week, and then secondary for a week. Both brews were spot on for gravity at pre and post fermentation.

After sitting in the kegs for a week at 10psi, I tested... and they were terrible. Nice head and carbonated, but undrinkable. After another week (today) - they are even worse! One is supposed to be a Smithwicks clone - I have made this before and it was great. The other was an orange creamsicle ale - so both should be very smooth beers with little to no bite.

Any ideas as to what to look at? I fear these are both hopeless, but don't want to brew another batch that tastes terrible.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about the one step cleaner as I have never used it but my understanding is it's a cleaner, not a sanitizer. You could possibility have an infection. Someone here with more experience using it would know better than I . I always clean my kegs using PBW, then rinse with hot water. Then fill them with Starsan to sanitize them. Then push the Starsan out with C02. Then do a closed transfer.
I only trust a dedicated sanitizer like Starsan for sanitizing my kegs and bottles.
I hope this helps.

What is the flavor? Can you describe it at all...like metallic or buttery etc?

I agree with VTX - if you didn't use a sanitizer through the kegs and lines it could very well be infected.

I would have to say on the metallic side. I've always used one step while bottling with no issues. If it is infection, do I need to completely disassemble the keg and sanitize? Or can I sanitize by letting the solution soak in the keg, then expel it using CO2?

How do you do a closed transfer?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks for the reply!

Doing a closed transfer depends on what you ferment in. I use a FastFerment and hook a jumper from the sample port to the liquid in post of the keg and a C02 return line to the airlock port from the gas in port of the keg. It can be done from a carboy with the proper equipment.
I would definitely disassemble the keg and posts to thoroughly clean the internal parts. When I sanitize, I lay the keg on it's side and let some Starsan run out of the pressure relief valve and gas in port to make sure they are completely sanitized. Then push the rest out of the keg through the liquid out post. This also will completely purge the keg of O2. A long soak is not necessary as Starsan only needs a short contact time IF everything is clean.
If the kegs are new maybe the stainless needs passivated? Most do that with new stainless fermenters. I have never used new kegs, mine are all used, reconditioned kegs.

I assume when you say liquid in, you are referring to the liquid out port? I tried this initially, but was unable to get anything to flow in that way... so I filled keg with CO2, then transferred through the top - assuming that the CO2 would be heavier than air and would protect beer during transfer.

Is there a trick to pushing beer in through the out port?

You have to have somewhere for the pressure to release. If you just tried to push the beer in the liquid post it wouldn't want to go in. You can vent the PRV, use an airlock on the gas post, or do something else like that.

Correct, I fill the keg through the liquid out post. I just use gravity. I have the fermenter above the keg and never had problems getting the beer to flow. I am not sure why it does not work for you. As long as the quick disconnect is properly connected it should open the poppet and let beer flow in through the port.
I believe a lot do as you did filling in through the keg top. Nothing wrong with it. I just try to minimize O2 exposure post fermentation.
also what said above, make sure the pressure relief valve is open or have a return line from the gas in port back to the fermenter

VTX1300, I looked at the FastFerment - that looks incredible! Thanks! I just ordered one. Question - you say you go from the sample port. The sample port has to be ordered separately and installed - where did you install on the FastFerment? i.e. how low on the conical part did you go? This would be ideal.

With regards to transferring the beer through the liquid out port - I had a poppet with an open line connected to the gas in to allow an open system so the beer would flow... it just didn't work. I'll try again using sanitizer or water when I clean it out to see if I did something wrong.

Thanks for all the help!

20170123_194043.jpg

I believe I installed the sample port about 2inches above the valve.

I have a question that I can't find an answer for by searching. I have my first keg on tap now - it's great! I have had an issue twice where I go to pour a glass, and nothing comes out. I'm set at 9psi. Both times I cranked the pressure up to 20-25, and it started flowing. I then released pressure back to 10, then it works fine. No blockages that I can see.

My other keg I had (a commercial keg) never did this.

Any thoughts?

I would have to say on the metallic side. I've always used one step while bottling with no issues. If it is infection, do I need to completely disassemble the keg and sanitize? Or can I sanitize by letting the solution soak in the keg, then expel it using CO2?

How do you do a closed transfer?

Sorry for all the questions - thanks for the reply!
Closed transfer primary is on the right 13 gallon keg to 5 corny
IMG_20180610_205251.jpg

Back