New from western MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldAssCat

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been lurking on this board for a little while now and wanted to say hi and how much I appreciate all the advice you folks have posted here.

I used to do extracts a couple years back but let it go for a while because of time constraints. This Christmas someone gave me a kit which made me get my equipment out of the cellar and clean it up. I remembered how much equipment I had and how much I liked brewing and hated seeing it sit idle so I went to buy another kit. When I saw how much the extract kits cost today I walked away.

A few days later I found this site and started reading about all grain. I thought there was a lot more to it so I never really looked into it before. I found that I was one mash tun away from everything I needed to get started so I pulled a cooler up from the cellar and a short trip to Lowes later I had everything I needed. And with help from you guys, along with a few recipes from you guys too, I’m on my fifth batch in two months.

I had a lot of questions along the way but each one I wanted to ask was already answered here in detail with pictures. I’m out of room for beer so I have to lay off brewing for a little while but my in-laws are coming next month so that should cure that problem. In the mean time I’m reading up on washing and saving my yeast. That’s something I never thought of doing and is going to save me some cash. Also I’ve ordered some hop rhizomes so hopefully come the end of summer I won’t need to buy much more of that either.

All made possible by the good folks here. Thanks again.
Gerry

Hey Gerry, Welcome. HBT is a great place,These folks have it all covered.
Were are you in W. Ma.? I'm in the Amherst area.

North of you in Templeton. I was hoping to find some people in the area. I'm looking for a good HB store. I go to a guy in West Boylston who's pretty good but it's nice to have choices.

Welcome, Western MA!

Some great band from your parts!

I agree. Which bands were you thinking about? My son has been in a few around here. There's a pretty healthy underground with a lot of good talent.

Hey Gerry, Welcome. HBT is a great place,These folks have it all covered.
Were are you in W. Ma.? I'm in the Amherst area.

Wow! and I always tell people I grew up in Springfield because no one ever know what I'm talking about when I say Easthampton. I had many many great times at Umass growing up..

Bands from WMA, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, and pretty much the entire MetalCore genre, if you know what that it.

Bands from WMA, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, and pretty much the entire MetalCore genre, if you know what that it.

Im actually in the music video for Fixation On The Darkness by Killswitch Engage. I snuck into the sold out video shoot through the back stage entrance. I can be seen in the middle of the crowd shouting the lyric "Lay your head!".. my 15 min- errr 2 seconds of fame..:rockin:

Thanks for all the welcomes.

That's the kind of bands my son was in. I can't tell you the name of them but know most of their stuff because my son was the drummer so they practiced in my basement. A lot of it was pretty good, kind of like old school punk. I can’t say all of it was that good though.

Wow! and I always tell people I grew up in Springfield because no one ever know what I'm talking about when I say Easthampton. I had many many great times at Umass growing up..

I ride through Easthampton on occasion. If I have time on a weekend, or sometimes if I don’t need to be home right away I take the long way back from work with my bike. I’ll do a long lap around the Quabbin, and on the longer laps I get out that way.

My wife and I live on Otis street. Just bought a house there about a year ago.

We rented an apartment over on Grove street for about year and really like the town.

Welcome from out in Adams!

I'll be driving past tomorrow morning, on my way out to brew at Kaiser's (delayed) Marzenfest. Look up "Yankee Ingenuity" in the "Groups" section, there's a good number of local folks.

You ever hit up the HBS in Northampton, or is that too far out of your way?

North of you in Templeton. I was hoping to find some people in the area. I'm looking for a good HB store. I go to a guy in West Boylston who's pretty good but it's nice to have choices.

I agree. Which bands were you thinking about? My son has been in a few around here. There's a pretty healthy underground with a lot of good talent.

Ive been going to a place on King st. in Northampton. its small, but they have kits and pretty much anything else you'd need. they will order stuff for you as well. might be too far though.

Welcome from out in Adams!

I'll be driving past tomorrow morning, on my way out to brew at Kaiser's (delayed) Marzenfest. Look up "Yankee Ingenuity" in the "Groups" section, there's a good number of local folks.

You ever hit up the HBS in Northampton, or is that too far out of your way?

Just about as far as I'm driving now. How are they?

I've only been there a couple of times. They're OK; I was put off a little bit when they told me they preferred it when people called in their grain orders ahead of time (I happened to be driving by and stopped). Seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. They were also a little snobby when I bought 3-gallon carboys to do some experiments early on, but maybe my n00bishness was showing, I dunno. Not open on Sundays, either, which sucks.

But, might be worthwhile for you to stop by and see. They're not the closest one to me anymore, and even before I usually drove over to the Troy area (I'm pretty sure the guy I went to see in Troy owns the shop in West Boylston, too).

I've only been there a couple of times. They're OK; I was put off a little bit when they told me they preferred it when people called in their grain orders ahead of time (I happened to be driving by and stopped). Seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. They were also a little snobby when I bought 3-gallon carboys to do some experiments early on, but maybe my n00bishness was showing, I dunno. Not open on Sundays, either, which sucks.

But, might be worthwhile for you to stop by and see. They're not the closest one to me anymore, and even before I usually drove over to the Troy area (I'm pretty sure the guy I went to see in Troy owns the shop in West Boylston, too).

I've been asked to call ahead by the folks in West Boylston and in Marlboro, so nothing different there.

You mean Troy as in Troy NH? If so that would be a much shorter drive.

That has to be more than an hour drive even from where you are. My brother in law is in Duanesburg right near Troy and that's a long drive from the Mass border. Hope that's a good shop.

It is. I need to check out the place in Pittsfield, though. Troy's almost the exact same distance as the place in NoHo - Adams is pretty much the middle of nowhere!

The best part about Northampton is you can stop at the Dirth Truth. Beers as far as the eye can see and not a macro to be seen! Decent food too.

We usually stop at Whole Foods when we're in the area, too; not only pick up good food, but they've got a pretty freakin' phenomenal beer selection.

Back