New from Miami, Florida!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnash

Reaction score
Hello all,
So, I have been drinking good beer for many years now and have been kicking around the idea to homebrew but just have never found the time. With some time being available now my girlfriend bought me a homebrew kit (Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA) for christmas.
Since then we have bought a few more things to prepare like. Hydrometer, digital thermometer, bottles, capper and some other small things.
I plan to buy some starsan, a fermenting fridge and an inkbird (it is south Florida after all) here shortly then start my first batch.

I've been doing little research on and off over the years but almost everyday lately I have been just reading up learning and absorbing information. I have also purchased and have started to read the How to Brew by Palmer, which so far has been quite interesting.

Can't wait to really get into home brewing here shortly.

Any advice for a newbie?

Welcome.
Start with a couple of pretty simple kits or recipes while you learn the processes. As soon as your first has fermented plan on getting another one started. You will be surprised how fast it will disappear. Once you are familiar with the processes you can start to branch out. Try all grain if you started with extracts. Start modifying recipes to change something more to your liking then creating your own. Most of all, have fun.

Welcome.
Start with a couple of pretty simple kits or recipes while you learn the processes. As soon as your first has fermented plan on getting another one started. You will be surprised how fast it will disappear. Once you are familiar with the processes you can start to branch out. Try all grain if you started with extracts. Start modifying recipes to change something more to your liking then creating your own. Most of all, have fun.
This. All of this.

In addition, do a walk through without ingredients, just to get a feel for the equipment and an idea of when you need what where.

Also take detailed notes, especially things you want to research more or that you wish you'd done differently.

Relax and have fun! You're gonna make beer!

Thanks for the tips. Through kit I have is all grain. So I figure I should never have to do extract brewing.

Hopefully I can brew next weekend. It all depends on me getting a fermentation fridge.

Back