New from Chattanooga

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Surette

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm happy to have found this forum. I started my first brew the day before yesterday and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. My boil boiled over in a moment of inattentiveness. I forgot to shut the spigot when I poured the boil in the bucket. Didn't lose too much. I thought that I wanted to ferment in glass instead of a bucket so I transferred from the bucket to a 6 1/2 gallon carboy. Naturally, the hose slipped out of the carboy. Again, I didn't lose too much. Then I realized that I had no way to get the wort out of the carboy to check the SG. And the jug was just too heavy and slippery for me to comfortably handle. So I poured it all back into the fermenting bucket. So it is now fermenting and making bubbles so at least something is going according to plan. If this first batch turns out drinkable I will call it Miracle Beer.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from this forum. And so far I have learned a lot just from my newbie mishaps. But it still fun.

Welcome to the forum and to your new obsession!

Every brewing experience good or bad adds to the knowledge you'll accumulate and the home brewer that you will become (which is a never ending process). Read and absorb as much as you can but the best teacher is to do what you did yesterday...

Good luck and enjoy!
:mug:

BTW, in my younger days, many many moons ago, I was a UTC Moc... ;)

Don't be surprised if you beer turns out a little less bitter than you planned - some hops were probably lost in the boil-over. The other problems just sound messy.
Welcome.

Hey bud! Just south of ya!

Don't worry about the screwups. Believe it or not, your problems were minor compared to some of the fun that get up to around here. Check out a couple of the brewing disaster threads if you have a strong stomach. Most of all, don't let it put you off.

Cheers! :mug:

Welcome to the forums.

My first batch was a mess as well. Encountered a boil over, spills, broken bottles and equipment and I think even the start of an infection.

Tasted like scorched lawn clippings, terrible.

Hated the bottling process so much I vowed not to brew again till I could keg.

Nearly ten years later brewed my second batch. Three gallon BIAB Cream Ale. Took a 2.5 gallon keg to a party and it was great.

A very satisfying hobby.

Enjoy The Brew.

Nice. Welcome to HBT!

All that pouring back and forth just added more O2 for the yeast! Otherwise I'll bet it turns out drinkable. :mug:

It turned out way better than I expected. Very drinkable. I bought a three gallon keg and a 10 pound bottle of CO2 and most of the batch is in there. It has a great head but not much carbonation in the body. Guess I need to play around with the CO2 pressure. I bottled a few 22 oz and put them in the fridge and I was wondering why no carbonation in them. Found out that I should not have refrigerated them but let them set out for a couple of weeks and then cool them.
I was so pleased with the way things are going that I bought a Vortex fermenter and have a brew going in it already. I'm using the same recipe as before but now I think that I know a little more about what I'm doing, it should turn out better. It's a Centenial IPA but Citra hops for dry hopping.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Welcome to the forum!

Glad your beer turned out well. Goes to show that even with a few mistakes, beer is quite resilient. And to never give up on a beer until nothing can be done to salvage it.

Welcome fr om Minnesota. A friend and i were discussing taking a trip to see some of the Twins' minor league teams play. So, I might be in town some day.

Glad your beer turned out good.

You can find other threads with disaster stories. You can also find a lot of good information.

A fri

Back