New equipment, when is it "to big"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm finally upgrading my equipment on a pipe dream (just like many of you, but that's not the point here) from my 15 gallon pots up to SSBrewtech 50 gallon pots. The first one along with the NorCal parts arrive tomorrow for it to be a mash tun.

Besides the fact I am still restricted to only doing a 10 gallon batch until my boil kettle comes in, is there any reason why I can't go ahead and use it as a mash tun already? I run a herms system so heat management shouldn't be a major issue, I'll have to see just how much dead space it really has above the grain bed for sparging/recirculation purposes.

It'll be awhile before I tighten up a couple recipes to brew a full 1bbl batch but I want to start getting a feel for the equipment if possible

The biggest issue I can foresee is your water: grain ratio in the mash. For example: when I do a 5.5 gallon batch in my 20 gallon mash tun I end up using a 1.5 quart of water per pound of grain ratio at a minimum, usually closer to 1.75:1 just to get enough water to cover the grain.

With a 50 gallon tun and 10 gallon batch you're going to have a lot more surface area to cover so you may end up with a higher water: grain ratio than you are accustomed to or comfortable with.

Personally I use a pretty high ratio so my system works for me, but it's something to be aware of.

The other constraint I have is my temp probe sits about 2/5 of the way up the mash tun so with 5.5 gallon batches I either have to use bigger grain bills or move towards full volume mashes in order to use my temp controller for my mash system.

But I make pretty good beer that way when I use the right numbers in Bru'n water so... Just be aware, I guess.

I would think you’d be better off using it as the boil kettle

I had originally thought this but I'm worried about the boiloff rate being to aggressive. On the other hand would be detrimental to over sparge to compensate for that? If I have to bring it up to 15 gallons to finish with a 1.050 og I don't mind as long as it doesn't mess with to much

As for it being a mash tun, I am okay with experimenting to different water ratios or even potentially doing a "no sparge" batch or two while I learn the one and outs of the pot

I guess I'm gonna have to just experiment at this point and see how it goes

I had originally thought this but I'm worried about the boiloff rate being to aggressive. On the other hand would be detrimental to over sparge to compensate for that? If I have to bring it up to 15 gallons to finish with a 1.050 og I don't mind as long as it doesn't mess with to much

As for it being a mash tun, I am okay with experimenting to different water ratios or even potentially doing a "no sparge" batch or two while I learn the one and outs of the pot

I guess I'm gonna have to just experiment at this point and see how it goes

Dump 18 gallons of water in there and do a 60 min boil to evaluate your boil off ( have to do it sooner or later) That’ll get you ready to try it out for a 15 gal batch :yes:

Back