New England pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to make a New England Pale Ale.. This is what I've come up with for 25 Liters (approx 6.6 gal).
Fermentables:
4.3 kg Maris Otter
1.2 kg Flaked Oats
600 g Munich Type II
Hops:
200 g Kohatu
For the hop additions, 50 grams each at 20 min, 10 min, 0 min, and a 7 day dry hop.
Yeast:
WLP013 London Ale
I get 1.051 OG, 1.015 FG, and 37.9 IBU from Brewtarget.
What do you guys think? Will it be way too hoppy, or will it be yummy?

Edit here: Also, forgot to mention that I will be adding CaSO4 and CaCl2 in amounts so that I reach around 100ppm for both sulfate and chloride. I also use yeast nutrient as a 15 minute addition.

Last edited:
That looks like a great recipe. Lots of great tips for sure. My LHBS does not carry Wyeast though. Are there any viable strains from white labs?

Also, for a hop schedule, what about:
First wort: 25g (19.5 IBU)
5 min: 75g (11.7 IBU)
0 min: 75g (0 IBU)
Dry hop: 75g (0 IBU)

Also, I might just go with that recipe. Looks awesome.

Last edited:
That looks like a great recipe. Lots of great tips for sure. My LHBS does not carry Wyeast though. Are there any viable strains from white labs?

Also, for a hop schedule, what about:
First wort: 25g (19.5 IBU)
5 min: 75g (11.7 IBU)
0 min: 75g (0 IBU)
Dry hop: 75g (0 IBU)

Also, I might just go with that recipe. Looks awesome.

Use WLP002/WLP007
If you use 007 mash at 68 instead of 67

alternatively S-04 will work, and I've been toying with the idea of using the MJ Liberty Bell for something similar.

The only change I'd make is to take 15-20g of your 5min addition and use it in your dryhop.
a big part of what makes these styles successful is the dryhop.

So basically any English strain with fruity characteristics will do in these beers? Might just go ahead with S04 then, as it's easier to use dry yeast for me, and in addition I'm already making most of my dark beers with this strain, and I like the aroma it gives off alot.

Edit: Totally agree with you about the haze of the NEPA's (Visited your website). It should be a result of the ingredients, and not the other way around; Using the ingredients to cause a haze.

Last edited:
I've brewed NE IPA with WLP007 Dry English Ale with good results. I believe it to be Trillium's yeast (or at least was at one point). I never got good results from this style with US04. If I didn't have access to 1318 or Conan, I would use WLP051 or WLP090. I've also done NE IPA using WY1056 which is just Chico.

Kohatu is an excellent hop. Check out my blog in the links and you can see what I did with Kohatu/Citra in 1:1 ratios. I think your hop schedule looks good. In my opinion, the minute addition is key. If you hopstand, go 30-60 minutes.

Back