New England IPA hater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommydee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been meaning to try one of these. Couldn't find one on the menu in Worcester (surprising), nor the "famous" ones here in my local beer stores in NJ. I did try one from a respectable local brewery, and here are my notes.

Poured for can, cloudy with hop debris. Not exactly enticing.
Hops were too fruity, nearly no bitter. Very sweet and very "juicy". Kind of reminded me of that V8 fruit/carrot juice blend. Impressed at the Mosaic and amarillo's capability to taste so tropical....but the juicy fruit kind of overwhelmed, and no malt or bitter...and nothing crisp about it. Left me thirsty, and I washed it down with a nice munich helles from my keezer. . Perhaps a poor execution of the style, but I think not....highly rated on Untappd.

I think I'm a hater. Sorry. I love just about every style, but will pass on this and wheat beers. Am I the only one not head over heels for the juice bomb? Maybe in my 40's I'm too old?

I'm with you, not a fan of the NEIPA....the mouthfeel is awful, the appearance is to put it simply appalling and the taste is something to be left desired...give me a crystal clear, hoppy IPA any day

Don't count me a fan either. They look unappealing, so I don't think I have ever had one. Looks like someone poured a glass of orange juice & milk

Hazy I can stand, murky no

I've never had one, so I can't really say. I'd like to try one though. Hypebierce, y'know?

Any commercial classic examples that aren't so fruity, more balanced? I feel I need to try again to be sure. Definitely not brewing one til I taste something decent.

Are you basing your opinion on the style by but one example? That is like saying that all American Pale Ales suck because the one by Podunck Breweries tasted like pond water.

That said, I have only tried one, I can't remember the name, but it was to me, just another average beer. It was not great, nor was it horrible.

I am sure that some breweries will hop for a fruity taste, others might go more piney etc. At least in the direction of making the fruitiness less dominant.

Are you basing your opinion on the style by but one example? That is like saying that all American Pale Ales suck because the one by Podunck Breweries tasted like pond water.

That said, I have only tried one, I can't remember the name, but it was to me, just another average beer. It was not great, nor was it horrible.

I am sure that some breweries will hop for a fruity taste, others might go more piney etc. At least in the direction of making the fruitiness less dominant.

I'm basing my opinion on multiple examples since living here in New England they are rampant here...it's just not my thing...I'm not a clear beer or die kinda guy I can deal with some haze but they are mirky and I can't get over the mouthfeel...the fruity component I can get behind but jeez the sight of it just makes me queasy

You're right, not fair....which is why I'm interested in any recommendations for more widely distributed examples to try (that I have some chance of finding in NJ) that are a bit less extreme/fruity.

Grognerd, that looks awesome. Way better than my glass....too bad you're not closer, I'd trade with you.

Any commercial classic examples that aren't so fruity, more balanced?
For starters, it's a new style, and not officially recognized by the BJCP, (yet). So "classic" is not yet a thing for NEIPA.

As for balanced, IMO, it's not really expected to be balanced. It's all about wringing as much flavor and aroma out of the hops as possible. The malt is really only there because it has to be.

Some are better than others, but if you really dislike the one you've had, you'll probably not think to highly of any of them. It may grow on you, though.

Personally, I like them, but will be perfectly content with other styles if I never have a NEIPA again.

Not appealing at all

I hesitate to say anything about the taste as I have never had a NE IPA. Just on looks alone it looks like the first pour from a keg when you have all that funky trub settlement come out in the first pint or two. Hummmm

Huge NEIPA fan. The haziness is just a byproduct of the brewing style. I think I have read a few people that tried to make a NEIPA clear and it just wouldn't happen. The higher chloride levels and dry hopping during active fermentation are big reasons why it is so hazy. I actually like the haze. I have been drinking a lot of NEIPAs. I live 30 minutes from Trillium and an hour from Tree House. Two of the best NEIPA breweries. I always have Trillium in the house. Tree House I don't go to as often. I probably drink 95% NEIPAs and 5% everything else. I actually find clear beers to be strange looking now. Since I drink mostly NEIPAs now I think my brain is starting to think the haze is the norm.

I used to love piney west coast IPAs. 60 minute was one of my favorite beers. I don't enjoy it anymore. I really like the creamy mouthfeel, low bitterness and fruity hop flavors of NEIPAs.

I suggest trying Trillium for those that think they have had a bad example of NEIPA. A lot of breweries are starting to make NEIPAs. I have tried a lot that just didn't hold up against Trillium. Tired Hands is another good example for people down that way.

And for the people that have had chunks in their NEIPAs, you may have had an older one or a badly brewed one. They should be hazy, just like Grognerd's pictures. There shouldn't be many chunks at all. They do start to get chunky as they age. These beers are best within a few weeks of canning. They are still good after that, they just start to flocculate more and chunks form.

I hesitate to say anything about the taste as I have never had a NE IPA. Just on looks alone it looks like the first pour from a keg when you have all that funky trub settlement come out in the first pint or two. Hummmm

If you like lagers more, you may not like a NEIPA but I highly suggest trying one. Don't go by looks alone.

TommyDee being that youre located in NJ I thought I would let you know that there is a brewery in Astoria NY called Singlecut, and they are cranking out some of the most delicious NEIPA's on the market. Dare I say, to me they rate up there with the handful of Trilliums I've had an opportunity to try. In fact here in Rochester they just released another batch of their "softly spoken magic spells", which is pure wizardry. Hopefully they are more available to you. Cheers!

sorry, but that picture I posted is #1 - not mine & #2 - not HAZY.

it's MURKY.

looks like a big buttload of harvested yeast, like a starter

so, if'n it means more for you, power to ya... no way would I drink it.

Here in Colorado, a TON of breweries are now trying to brew that style. Consequently, I've had a lot of bad ones recently. That's just the way it goes when so many places are just starting to do it. There are some pretty decent examples out here, though, like Juicy Bits from Weldwerks and Codename:Superfan from Odd13 Brewing.

But I have made the pilgrimage out east and have had the best examples of the style. To me, the double dry hopped Galaxy Fort Point Pale from Trillium is the best I've had.

All that being said, the novelty is wearing off a bit for me. I recently went on a self imposed strike on brewing hoppy beers for about 6 months, just to mix it up and keep things fresh. I just brewed my first IPA in forever and when it came time to put a recipe together, I found myself craving a good West Coast style instead of a NE. I was surprised.

Citra, El Dorado, Amarillo and Columbus. Mmmmmm... can't wait.

Dan

Here in Colorado, a TON of breweries are now trying to brew that style. Consequently, I've had a lot of bad ones recently. That's just the way it goes when so many places are just starting to do it. There are some pretty decent examples out here, though, like Juicy Bits from Weldwerks and Codename:Superfan from Odd13 Brewing.

But I have made the pilgrimage out east and have had the best examples of the style. To me, the double dry hopped Galaxy Fort Point Pale from Trillium is the best I've had.

All that being said, the novelty is wearing off a bit for me. I recently went on a self imposed strike on brewing hoppy beers for about 6 months, just to mix it up and keep things fresh. I just brewed my first IPA in forever and when it came time to put a recipe together, I found myself craving a good West Coast style instead of a NE. I was surprised.

Citra, El Dorado, Amarillo and Columbus. Mmmmmm... can't wait.

Dan

That is a really good one. My favorite is The Streets which was brewed for their 4th anniversary. That should make it into rotation but my favorite in rotation right now is either Mettle or Congress St. If you can get your hands on some, I highly recommend both.

I liked all of Trillium's beers when I was there in September. I am not generally a fan of murky beers, but I did like the beers there. I had several others that I really enjoyed as well- Lunch and Dinner by Maine Brewing Company, and Tree House's Julius.

I love hops, and thought those all had great flavor.

Hops were too fruity, nearly no bitter. Very sweet and very "juicy". Perhaps a poor execution of the style, but I think not....highly rated on Untappd.

If you pour a beer and you get hop debris in the glass the brewery are doing something wrong IMO.
a well executed version of this style shouldn't have any debris when poured.
its a commercial brewery and unless your canning awheat beer your doing it wrong

agreed trillium and tiredhands are good examples.

Just remember, like any beer they are not all created equally. I wasn't a fan of IPA's in general until I had NE IPAs. I still don't like regular IPA's as I think the bitterness is terrible without a load of dry hops. But that's just my opinion. The haze is just he protein and I enjoy the mouthfeel of that with the hop haze. To each ones own but don't shy away from one because of its style, as they can all be very different.

Just remember, like any beer they are not all created equally. I wasn't a fan of IPA's in general until I had NE IPAs. I still don't like regular IPA's as I think the bitterness is terrible without a load of dry hops. But that's just my opinion. The haze is just he protein and I enjoy the mouthfeel of that with the hop haze. To each ones own but don't shy away from one because of its style, as they can all be very different.

Have you tried hop-bursting for a regular IPA? Just backload your additions; it'll give you a nice hop profile without the excessive IBUs.

As with all things, it's personal taste. I live 5m from Treehouse, but it's just not my thing--neither are sours, but I understand some folks do. Give me Yooper's Haus Pale Ale any day. :)

Have you tried hop-bursting for a regular IPA? Just backload your additions; it'll give you a nice hop profile without the excessive IBUs.

Yea, I've pretty much tried most of the hops on the market including brewing loads of styles of it. I've come around a bit to the classic clear IPA's but I'm just a fan of the giant hop bombs which isn't done as much in those styles. Not that I haven't had/made some IPA's that have the same hopping profile as NE IPAs and were crystal clear with the classic caramel malts.

Geez, it's 2017. Get with the times already. If you're not drinking NEIPA, you might as well be drinking Goose Island. Or BMC.(j/k)

I'm neutral about the style. I like the aroma, the carbonation, and the dryness. Not sure I like that I like the texture or the commitment to fruit flavor. I don't care about the murkiness, though I do like a good clear IPA more often than not.

Tired Hands is the only NEIPA brewery I think I've had, and their flagship beer (Hophands) is actually a normal pale ale. If you're in New Jersey, that would probably be the easiest thing to get.

next time you grill your favorite steak, chop it up into little bits, grind it to a paste in a food processor, pour it out into a shaker pint and eat it with a spoon

sure, tastes like your favorite steak, bet it's the best-tasting steak you've ever grilled. but how friggin appealing does it LOOK?

that's a NEIPA to me

I fear, clear beer!

If you don't like the NEIPAs, that means less ppl in line for me.

Also, what is " in" is always changing. Check out the BeerAdvocate archives to see what beers were at the top 5 or 10 years ago. I can't believe it.

If it comes off juicy, that's about right and that definitely turns some people off. It's certainly the latest 'thing'; that and oats in everything.

When I order them at local micros, I wonder if they've ever had a real one.

So can you get any of these in the DC area? My brother in law is coming down in a couple of weeks for a fishing trip, maybe I can get him to bring me something so I can add something to this thread.

Hops were too fruity, nearly no bitter.?

These sort of complaints always strike me as someone trying to fit the beer into a preconcieved box rather than allowing yourself to enjoy it for what it is. Do you see a hefe and think "that's not exactly enticing" then close your eyes, take a sip and complain, "ugh, I hate pillowy mouthfeels and beer that isn't bitter!" Because if not, then it seems to me that its not the appearance, mouthfeel, or flavors that you don't like, but rather that they aren't what you expect an IPA to be--clear, crisp, bitter.

everyone's got their own preferences of course, and perhaps you dislike all cloudy, non-bitter beer. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that. But that would make you someone who only likes a few types of beer, not a hater of NEIPAs.

Try one again, but instead of thinking of it as a newfangled IPA, trying thinking of it as an interesting new style that you've never tried before. :mug:

anyone know of any examples of this style that i can purchase on the west coast? can't seem to find 'em. but maybe i'm not looking in the right spots.

J.

These sort of complaints always strike me as someone trying to fit the beer into a preconcieved box rather than allowing yourself to enjoy it for what it is. Do you see a hefe and think "that's not exactly enticing" then close your eyes, take a sip and complain, "ugh, I hate pillowy mouthfeels and beer that isn't bitter!" Because if not, then it seems to me that its not the appearance, mouthfeel, or flavors that you don't like, but rather that they aren't what you expect an IPA to be--clear, crisp, bitter.

everyone's got their own preferences of course, and perhaps you dislike all cloudy, non-bitter beer. There wouldn't be anything wrong with that. But that would make you someone who only likes a few types of beer, not a hater of NEIPAs.

Try one again, but instead of thinking of it as a newfangled IPA, trying thinking of it as an interesting new style that you've never tried before. :mug:

There's a big difference in hefe-haze and the pulpy look that is a neipa...

There's a big difference in hefe-haze and the pulpy look that is a neipa...

I've not seen or made a pulply NEIPA.

Light plays a big factor in the way these things look, but here's a NEIPA and a hefe.

julius.jpg

hefe.jpg

I've not seen or made a pulply NEIPA.

Light plays a big factor in the way these things look, but here's a NEIPA and a hefe.

I think the one in the Hill Farmstead glass is Edward, or it might have been a Hill Farmstead/Tired Hands collaboration that I tried that night.

Treehouse's Haze looks a touch murky, but that's just the light.

The one in the treehouse glass without the bottle is my attempt at Braufessor's recipe.

They're not murky like the bottom of a keg. There are no floaties. Its haze.

Edward.jpg

Haze.jpg

Dan's NE IPA.jpg

I was curious for a long time and finally got to taste the style at Hopcat in Grand Rapids. They had an M-43 from some brewery in Michigan. After reading all about the style, and reading the agruments between the lovers and the haters, I fully expected to hate them, but being curious, I gave it a shot.

It was really good. I'm not going to mush all over it and say it was some kind of out-of-body experience or anything, but I was surprised to find that while the descriptions of the style I'd heard were all there, I really liked it. I'm not a juice fan. I expected a "thick" feeling, not bitter "IPA" (IMO it should not be termed an IPA, but whatever...) ugly mess to turn me off.

Yes, it was "juicy" in that it resembled the color and mostly the texture of pulp-free juice. It was not chunky, pulpy, "thick", or unpalatable. The thickness was kind of a soft, creamy texture, rather than "thick". (And I generally like my beers well carbed with some carb bite.)

The flavor was hoppy without being too bitter. Really, I was surprised, because I expected a Pale Ale or IPA bitter to go along with it, and it was just mild bitterness. I kind of liked that because it really helped the flavor of the hops shine through. And the flavor is tropical/citrus HOP flavor, not orange juice.

I fully expected to dislike the style, and ended up appreciating it. The negative aspects were not nearly as awful as I thought they would be, and the flavor and texture were very appealing in their own way. And this was just a Michigan beer I experienced. I'm curious to try more of them as I can find them.

anyone know of any examples of this style that i can purchase on the west coast? can't seem to find 'em. but maybe i'm not looking in the right spots.

J.

i just brewed my own after trying one while traveling. It's odd that some commercial examples are so murky. I get some haze initially when kegged, but the last one turned crystal clear after 2 weeks in the bottle, and still tastes chock full of fruity hoppy goodness.

For people that don't like the style.... whatever. Drink what you like. some dudes are into fat chicks.

most of those are borderline, but can be described as "(very) hazy"

I'm talking about THIS. it's not hazy, it's MURKY. as in OPAQUE. SWAMPY. milk & orange juice being passed off as beer

set one of these down in front of me and I'll ask you why you're serving me a yeast starter

beer_398494.jpg

Latest posts

Back