New Dual Regulator Losing Output Pressure, Not Responding to Adjustment Screw Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamisonia

Reaction score
Just got a new Brew Logic Dual Regulator at Midwest on their clearance sale. I'm hoping I'm not finding out why these regulators are clearanced now!

I hooked it hook to the manifold I use. The first regulator I have set to 14 PSI, the second regulator is not connected. I installed shutoff valves in both of them and have the shutoff valve off on the second. I believe its set to something like 20 PSI on the output gauge.

The first regulator kept losing pressure after about an hour. It would fall to 10 PSI. I would then adjust the regulator up and nothing would change, until suddenly the output regulator would jump up to 30 PSI. I would then have to purge the kegs, unscrew the adjustment screw entirely, then readjust up to 15 PSI. (The adjustment screw then acts normal). Again in about an hour i would come back and it would be 10 PSI. This went one about 5 times over the course of a day, then suddenly stops. And now it appears to be holding at 15 PSI correctly.

I had a single regulator before, and it never acted this way.

Mine is acting the same way. I'm hoping it's just the regulators breaking in. Has yours held since?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got two of these dual regulators a few months ago and frankenstein'd it into a 3-pressure regulator plus a single pressure regulator. All the adjustments are flaky, and seem to drift over time.

Part of the problem, I think, is a low flow rate particularly at low pressures (under 15psi) -- it takes a while to equilibriate after an adjustment, so you adjust too far. The best way I've found to partially circumvent/mitigate the issue is opening/closing the ball valves I've attached to each output (so that there's less pressurized airspace to fill) and purging the regulator. Whatever it settles on about a minute after closing the ball valve and purging the regulator body is where it (typically) will stay when you open the ball valve back up.

The past few days I've been trying to re-dial in my 'sparking water' regulator to 25psi. It was sitting happily at 20psi with the ball valve open (connected to a full keg), about 12 hours from the last time I adjusted it. Two full rotations of the adjustment screw, and the gauge didn't budge and I couldn't hear gas flowing. I flipped the ball valve closed, pulled the pin to purge the regulator, and suddenly the pressure spikes to 50+ psi. Sigh.

Anecdotally, the regulators closest to the CO2 tank is the least flaky, and the one furthest from the CO2 tank is the most flaky. By my understanding, all the regulators should be seeing 'full CO2 tank pressure' at their input, so I don't have a good explanation for this.

I recently picked up a second C02 tank to have as a backup and use to force carb at room temperatures. I've been eyeing the clearance brew-logic single gauge regulator at MidWest, but I'm afraid it might be junk. I currently have a taprite in my kegerator and love it. Reviews on the brew-logic seem rather minimal, any input from anyone in this thread?

I keep going back and forth between taking a chance on the brew-logic or getting a second taprite. Buy once cry once sort of situation.

Thanks!

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-single-gauge-regulator.html

I'm also having issues with the Brew Logic Dual Regulator. They drift over time. They drift as keg volume changes. Basically, I've spent way too much time constantly checking the regulator pressures and trying to keep them at the right pressure. I'm buying something different (either a Taprite or Governator - still researching) and I wouldn't even sell this thing to a friend. IMHO, worst regulator ever.

I'm also having issues with the Brew Logic Dual Regulator. They drift over time. They drift as keg volume changes. Basically, I've spent way too much time constantly checking the regulator pressures and trying to keep them at the right pressure. I'm buying something different (either a Taprite or Governator - still researching) and I wouldn't even sell this thing to a friend. IMHO, worst regulator ever.

Thanks for the info, sounds like another taprite is in my future...

Back