New direction! eBIAB w/RIMS!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Started building a single tier 3 vessel eHERMS. Brewed 4-5 times on system without HERMS coil. Man- it's a lot to clean every brew day!
Saw this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/apartment-brewing-ebiab-all-toolbox-system-303247/

I changing direction. And will update along the way. So far I bought 62 quart bayou classic w/ basket, silicon tubing, camlocks, 1.5" rtd, all the hardware, bulkheads, sight glass and a pump.

It will be arriving throughout this week and next.

I already built the control panel for the HERMS system so it will serve double duty. Should be brewing on the new system next week end.

image-3923771124.jpg

Got all the stainless parts, pump and silicon tubing. Pot should be here Tuesday. Should be brewing next weekend.
Oh, side note a pound of citra showed up today too. Thanks Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

image-2438726767.jpg

Control panel

image-1741810052.jpg

Parts

Waiting on the bayou classic 62 quart pot w/ basket.

Very cool! I did the same thing but decided to go direct fire... Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Cheers!

Update.

image-1093195803.jpg

image-638620646.jpg

15.5 gallon bayou classic w/ basket came in today. Starting the build!

image-4140920049.jpg

image-1334354304.jpg

image-3834378766.jpg

image-3723687167.jpg

Dry fitting after I punched the holes for bulkheads and sight glass. I punch the element hole tomorrow and install everything liquid tight. Brewing a all citra IPA this weekend.

Brewing a all citra IPA this weekend.

Nice I recently made an almost all citra IPA and have been loving it, check out my recipe if you dont have one already, it turned out amazing and is my best brew Ive done so far (only done 17 batches). Used a little Amarillo at the beginning.

One recommendation, dont do long boil times with the citra, people have said it gives a cat piss smell to it.

Good luck, working on a single pot BIAB stand right now as well, about to order a bunch of stuff from McMaster

Do what size element are you using in the rims tube? Earlier this week I did a biab with a rims and liked the control a lot better than the direct fire... But not sure if there us a 240v heating element with a low enough watt density.... Best I saw was 150watts per inch..

borny said:
Do what size element are you using in the rims tube? Earlier this week I did a biab with a rims and liked the control a lot better than the direct fire... But not sure if there us a 240v heating element with a low enough watt density.... Best I saw was 150watts per inch..

Well, the beauty of the design is that the bag sits in the steamer basket which sits 3" off the bottom. Plenty of room for the element and bulkheads. The infusion is taking place in the kettle. It's a great idea.

So, no rims tube. And the element is a camco 240v 5500w ULWD. If you have any questions or need to see different angles ore pictures) let me know.

Gotcha! That is what I do too, age I use the element in the kettle. How do recirculate the wort? Right now I use a aerator that I put all the way down to the middle of the mash and the heated wort gets pushed out to the sides of the kettle.... I tried creating a whirl pool, but the basket prevented the recirculated wort from evenly heating the mash, therfore the part of the mash above the element was about 10 degrees hotter than the edges where the RTD probe is. (thats why I used a rims tube to maintain the mash temp)

image-3800866730.jpg

image-3690986580.jpg

image-427498541.jpg

image-1514807237.jpg
Some new pictures. New element enclosure, new. Stainless table, and the old control panel.

I sold the old brewery, but kept my mash tun and an extra keg. I think I'm going to build a two vessel RIMS out of them. Stay tuned. I'll upgrade the control panel to 60 amps to accommodate two 5500 watt elements running. And add an additional PID.

image-1376083396.jpg

Back